Omake: Hatake Kakashi

Hatake Kakashi had made many mistakes.

He took his father for granted, believing that because the man was so strong, he would be fine. No one would be able to hurt him.

Hatake Sakumo commited suicide when Kakashi was around 5 years old. Sakumo had been handled with disdain after a failed mission where he took his teammates' lives as priority rather than the mission, regarded with so much hate that he ended up passing his pain to his only son, Kakashi, and killing himself.

Kakashi had been the one to find the body.

After that, he had become rule obsessed. Determined not to be like his father. Adamant in prioritising the mission instead of his comrades' lives.

He had hated Sakumo.

Hated him for failing that mission. Hated him for not following the rules. Hated him for taking the easy way out and killing himself.

Hated him for leaving him alone.

Graduating at the age of five, Kakashi became a genin. Every mission he went on was prioritised. Shinobi began to realise that Kakashi was the complete opposite of his father. No matter the consequences, whether that be the cost of his comrades' lives, the mission was the most important thing to him.

He was taken under Namikaze Minato's wing, an apprentice of sorts. The next year he became chunin, having a field promotion due to the time of war. He was sent out to the front lines, witnessing things that still gave him nightmares to this day.

When he was nine, more..baggage was placed onto him. A team.

Nohara Rin and Uchiha Obito.

At the time he wasn't sure about Rin, but he knew that Obito was the dead last. The rumoured black sheep of the Uchiha clan.

An all around idiot who did not stick to the rules.

If tradition was anything to go by, Nohara Rin was most likely the top kunoichi. She was nine when she graduated, and had a prowess for medical ninjutsu.

She was.. Kind, he guessed. She would still drag him down, though it was good to have a medic nin around in case. It would be unsavoury should an entire battalion die and the mission be incomplete. Kindness was a weakness, however. It would do her no good on the battlefield.

Obito was worthless. He had hardly any skills. He was driven by emotions, and could not control his feelings.

Kakashi enjoyed winding him up for the fun of it, seeing him get angry.

Later on in the year he was forced to take the chunin exams alongside them, not being a true chunin due to only having a field promotion.

A year later, when he was ten years old, he was promoted officially to jounin. He was the captain of his first mission as a jounin, giving him a position of power over his squad.

Obito failed to follow his orders.

Kakashi failed to empathise.

Rin failed to escape the Iwa shinobi.

Team Minato walked back to Konoha with a completed mission, and an incomplete squad.

Rin had broken, unable to control her tears at times.

Kakashi came to, having had what seemed to be an epiphany. He began to cherish his comrades, not allowing them to die. It became his priority.

He failed to prevent Rin's death, however.

She died by his own hand.

There was so much blood.

Blood dripping from Obito's eye.