3: Comfort

❝We're all a little broken,

We're all a little broken,

And that's okay. ❞

 ❞

"Why didn't you let me drown?"

Were the first thing Ari asked when she woke up in the dimly lit room. Sangwoo was sitting on the floor beside her, both knees up as his head was bowed down as if he was sleeping.

"Damn it Ari. What the fuck were you thinking?" he suddenly said, raising his voice as his face darkens. "I told you not to pass out from blood loss but that doesn't mean you could drown yourself to death."

Was he mad? He must be angry. But Ari failed to understand why he's angry. She's even saving him the trouble of dealing with her if he just let her drown earlier.

Ari noticed that he wasn't wearing a shirt and she was wearing a grey hoodie that covered her naked body.

"You shouldn't have saved me," she muttered as she stood up and walked towards Sangwoo who was still sitting on the floor.

"Come now, I'll make dinner like you told me this morning. I already cleaned the whole house."

Sangwoo felt fingers brushed through his dripping hair. Ari was unconscious for an hour and Sangwoo had to clear his thoughts by taking a cold shower.

Ari was about to walk when Sangwoo took her wrist and pulled her hand in towards his face.

"Just don't do that again," he whispered, frown evident on his forehead. "Don't kill yourself. I promise I'll kill you. Someday. So please don't do that again."

He sounds strange. His tone sounded really odd. It's as if he's desperate. Ari blinked her eyes as she stare at Sangwoo blankly. She doesn't really understand his peculiarity but she just shrugged her shoulders and nodded.

"Okay," she said and Sangwoo stood up, still holding her hand, they walked down the stairs and towards the kitchen.

Sangwoo sat on the kitchen as he watched Ari busied herself making some kimchi fried rice and stew.

"What happened while I was at work?" Sangwoo asked, starting a conversation.

"I cleaned the house and almost drowned in the tub," Ari said nonchalantly. Her back facing Sangwoo as the man let himself be grazed with a smile.

"What did you have for lunch?" he asked.

"Ramyeon and kimchi."

Sangwoo felt like this is what a typical married couple does during dinner. You know the scenarios when the husband just came from work and the wife is dutifully making dinner for him.

Unless they weren't that kind of thing. One is a homicidal maniac and the other is a suicidal psycho.

Ari placed the bowl of steamy kimchi fried rice and beef stew as they ate their dinner in silence.

After dinner, Sangwoo decided to wash the dishes and Ari just sat on the couch staring into nothingness. She was so bored that she literally drifted to sleep until she felt her body being laid down on the futon.

As if on instinct, Ari found herself gripping Sangwoo's fingers as he was about to turn around.

"Stay," she whispered, mind drifting between slumber and waking up.

"What now? Are you scared?" Sangwoo asked, looking amused. Is she finally going to show an ounce of fear?

But Ari shook her head no.

"The nightmare might succeed into taking me this time."

For a few seconds Sangwoo just stare at Ari. He even thought she might be asleep by now. So with a sigh, he laid down with her, put the blankets securely around Ari as he pulled her towards his huge frame in a cocoon.

He heard Ari sigh as she scoot closer.

"Did you have nightmares in the tub earlier as well?" Sangwoo asked and Ari nodded.

Is that why she almost drowned? Because of the nightmare?

"You know, they say if you tell other people about your nightmare, they would stop haunting you."

Ari was silent for a few seconds. She opened her eyes and stare at the darkness in the room.

She never really told anyone about her past before. Well, it's not as if she had someone to tell them to. Besides, telling Sangwoo doesn't really matter much since he's going to kill her anyways.

"It was a bad memory from childhood."

But Ari isn't comfortable speaking about it out loud. So she told him a vague answer.

Sangwoo decided not to press on. She'll tell him sooner or later.

With that, Sangwoo pulled her even closer and in the arms of a killer Ari found comfort, as odd as it may sound. Isn't it just peculiar?