30: Midnight Memories

❝So let's be sinners to be saint

So let's be sinners to be saint. 

And let's be winners by mistake.

❞

The dinner table was silent. The whole dining room was engulfed in utter stillness Sangwoo felt like breaking someone's ankle just to hear a sound. The fact that Ari's foster parents had their eyes shut made Sangwoo confused, until the woman started muttering something. Then Sangwoo thought it must be a prayer, not that he knew any.

"And in the name of that Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen."

Before they could open their eyes and catch Sangwoo staring at them with a nonchalant expression, he decided to close his eyes quickly and inclined his head.

"Let's have our dinner," the man said and Sangwoo opened his eyes, looking briefly around until he glanced at Ari who was silently sitting beside him.

He wanted to ask if she's alright, she doesn't seem like she is. That smile she pulled off earlier was perfectly fake, Sangwoo didn't have to take a second look to know that much but her foster mother seem like she just saw Ari smiled genuinely. Just enough to tell how much she doesn't really know Ari as much as she think.

"Here, you love egg rolls, right Ari?" The woman said, putting an egg roll on Ari's plate.

"I remember you would take and stuff a whole slice of egg roll when you were a kid," she added and her husband laughed warmly.

When Sangwoo looked at Ari, she was staring at her foster parents before she smiled. "Yeah, I remember."

Sangwoo wanted to tell her to stop acting like that, it was so fake that it looks disgusting. If she's going to act like that then it's better if she remain emotionless. But Sangwoo kept quiet, eating dinner as Ari's foster parents talk here and there.