Chapter 22 Nice to see you again

Jeffery's POV

I sat on the edge of the bed with my head in my hands, listening to the soft breaths that told me she was still alive.

"Amber, I know we just met but I have a feeling. Its like we're somehow connected. When you meet your mate, the whole world stops and everything disappears but them. They're the only thing that matters. Im not sure you feel the same way but I-I love you, Amber," I said not looking at her.

"I love you," I heard a faint whisper and I immediately went to her side.

Her eyes were still drowsy and were not even half way open with small tears running down her face.

We smiled and laughed together, all my worries had dispersed into thin air and I felt free for once.

Free of my old mate bond.

Free from my heart-retching past.

"How are you feeling?" I asked softly.

"I've been better," she laughed.

The melodic voice was music to my ears. The sound of an angel.

She looked at me and was about to say something but I cut her off.

"You want ice cream," I stated more than asked.

Amber smiled and nodded.

Standing up, I made my way to the kitchen where the mint and chocolate chip ice cream was in the freezer.

Hearing a crash in the bedroom, I dropped the ice cream and ran full speed to where Amber was.

Or where I thought she was.

"Amber? Amber, where are you?" I asked out looking around frantically.

"J-Jeffery?" I heard a weak voice call out to me.

But it wasn't Amber.

Going into the bathroom, I saw the one person I believed I would never see again.

"Evelyn?"

"Hey Jeff. How has life been treating you?" She asked casually as if nothing happened.

"That's all you have to say?! I have been weeping your death for months! Now you come back and pretend like everything is just peachy!" I screamed, my wolf also upset with his mate.

"I know, babe, but I couldn't come back. He said he would kill you if I left and all these years I had to help him kidnap Melanie's daughter," she explained, pleading with her eyes.

"Wait. Amber is Melanie's daughter?"

"I guess, otherwise I wouldn't be hear," she looked down ashamed.

I also looked down, putting my hands in my pockets nervously.

"So... now what?"

"I-I uh... Um actually I wanted to ask you a few things."

"Me too," I nodded towards the bed and we kept our distance as we sat down.

I know she is my mate but I also know that I have fallen for Amber.

"Jeffery? How close were you and Amber?"

"I'm not going to lie to you. We were actually dating before you and your uncle kidnapped her."

"I'm really sorry, I was forced to do this."

"My turn. Why did it seem like you had died and the mate bond had been broken?"

"Ever since Melanie took down my uncle, the witch had revived him and they were working together. She was the one who had made it seem as if I had died so you wouldn't come looking for me."

"I have something that rhymes. It's goes: the witch is a bitch."

She gave me a small smile before looking back down. I knew she is hiding something from me.

"What's wrong?"

"Hey, I was wondering how much you got around with other girls. I would be so jealous."

"Don't change the subject. Now what's wrong?"

"It's noth-"

"Evelyn!" I yelled at her and saw a single tear run down her cheek.

"Please just tell me what's wrong. Maybe I can help," I said softly, moving closer and putting a hand on her back.

"Th-they did some really bad things to me when I was there. I begged them to stop but they wouldn't listen," she cried.

I hugged her close to me.

Angry at this whole situation, I started to shake and my wolf rose within me.

'We need to kill the damn bastards for hurting our mate,' my wolf growled inside my head.

'And kidnapping Amber,' I replied back.

He didn't answer but instead growled, louder than ever.

"Jeffery, calm down," Evelyn mumbled backing up.

"Please calm down Jeffery, your scaring me," she backed up against the wall staring with wide eyes.

My wolf whimpered and crawled back into the deadly silence of my mind.

Thoughts swirled of how the stupid bastards touched my mate and now they have the one person who kept me sane.

"Dammit!"

Why does everything have to go wrong?

Why can't I have a normal day doing normal stuff?

"Jeff? I-I was a kid but I remember the pack that Melanie had grew up in. Maybe they could help us save her daughter," she said taking a few steps closer, keeping eye contact.

"Which pack?" I mumbled.

"It was the Broken Shadow pack. Her mate was the alpha and soon after he rejected her, they both disappeared. I'm sure the pack would love to help find their alpha and Luna, the betas the one who has been taking care of them all."

"Alright. I guess we're going on a nice little adventure then, eh?"

She laughed with no humor present, "yeah I guess we are..."