Chapter 12: seeing red

"You just couldn't keep this rivalry between us, could you, Calavera?" Cordovin asked, trying to destroy the ship that Maria was piloting. "You had to rope in children to fail with you!"

Atlesian military saw the battle from a camera and cheered for Cordovin's performance. Ruby was currently having trouble trying to get back up to the top of the cliff.

"Ruby!" Oscar shouted with concern as Ruby managed to climb back up the cliff with Crescent Rose. "Ruby, can you hear me? Are you guys okay?"

"Are WE okay?" Ruby repeated with more shock.

"I know, we were supposed to lay low, but listen. I think I finally found a weakness" Oscar informed.

"Well, we're all ears" Nora weakly said, carrying Jaune and Pyrrha to everyone. Ren was even more than happy to see them okay.

"Guys!" Ren ran up to his team as Oscar explained to everyone...

"The cylinder on Cordo's cannon rotates and locks in a giant Dust cartridge every time she changes attack styles"

"We noticed" Weiss frustratingly said.

"Right, but her missile launcher doesn't lock in, it pops out! Without the shields, one well-placed shot could detonate the missiles whilst they're still in the launcher!" Oscar concluded.

"We could destroy the entire cannon" Jaune added. "Oscar, that's brilliant!"

"It's definitely worth a try" Pyrrha nodded.

"Can you make that kind of shot?" Nora asked.

"We'll only get one chance before she catches on" Ruby said. "I'd have to be practically staring down the barrel of her cannon"

"Well, I've got a way to guarantee that" Maria joined as she flew the ship right next to the cliff, allowing Ruby to get in.

"Ruby, what are you doing?" Qrow asked, but Ruby ignored Qrow and stepped inside of the ship as it flew towards the mech. Maria then decided to call Cordovin through the ship.

"Hey, Cordo!" She shouted. "I've got one missile left and I know exactly where I'm gonna stick it!"

Cordovin then laughed at what Maria said.

"'One missile', you say?" She smirked. "That's a shame, Maria, because I have plenty!"

Cordovin then opened the missile launcher barrel. Maria's idea to get the missile launcher exposed worked.

"Are you two crazy?!" Oscar screamed in fright.

"Sometimes the best approach is simply the most direct!" Maria replied. Ruby then leaned just outside of the ship's door and took aim. However, Cordovin saw Ruby doing what she was doing and knew what she was going to do next.

"You" Cordovin growled. Ruby then took the shot, but it was too late. Cordovin managed to close the missile launcher barrel just barely before the rifle cartridge could hit one of the missiles. Everyone gasped in shock as Oscar's idea had failed. "You though you could fool me?"

Cordovin then aimed an electricity Dust cartridge at the ship, hoping to end them once and for all.

"Pull up!" Oscar ordered, making Maria do as she was told, but the electricity hit the ship, short- circuiting the plane and Maria's eyes.

"I can't see! My eyes!" Maria shouted. "What do we do?!" Oscar asked.

"Take control!" Maria answered, making Oscar hastily grab the control stick and fly the plane himself.