Chapter 9

"I don't think you're taking this seriously.", Leon was being nervous. More nervous than he should be, really. But when someone planned your murder you were supposed to be, right?
Well at least SOMEONE had to be. And since Morgana had decided to be ignorant of future demise – Leon decided that this was his job now.

"Do you really think this is the first time, Agravaine has tried to get rid of me? Why do you think I've been living in a cave for a year?"

"I don't know. The aesthetic?", Leon shrugged.

Morgana gave him a pointed look and then continued to eat her soup.

Leon had run to Morgana as soon as he had figured out what their plan was. And boy did their planning take time. Agravaine had a lot of thoughts and ideas for murder. Someone should be worried about that. Namely Mordred. But who was the king that he would have to deal with such delicate matters, right?

"Listen, Sir Leon. I have managed to evade every attempt Agravaine has ever started. And you know why?"

Leon frowned. To be frank, he did. Agravaine himself had been brainstorming about this.

"Because my destiny is to be killed by Emrys. And Emrys isn't here. Neither does Agravaine know where he is. So there is nothing I have to worry about."

"You have everything to worry about!", Leon gave back.

"Sir Leon, I am happy that you have decided to side with me, when it comes to the safety of this kingdom. But my personal safety has to do with me! And myself alone, do you understand! As long as Mordred has Emrys under control and orders him to stay far far away from me, there is NOTHING I need to fear! I don't want to live in fear anymore. I don't want Emrys to dictate my life. Let him stay in exile as long as possible. My brother is taking care of him too. And he will send message to me should anything change. So now leave me alone with this nonsense.
I thank you for telling me – but I can take care of myself."

And with that Leon was forcefully dismissed.

Leon knew this was a fatal decision on her behalf. And he would stand corrected.

Neither of them knew that Agravaine had already prepared his departure. In a cave – captured – one of Merlin's magical doves.
The one Leon used to message him. He wouldn't realize she was gone until it was already too late.

---------------------------------

Arthur liked fishing. It was calm and nice weather outside. The fish wasn't biting at all, but it was a good excuse to sit here, while Merlin took care of the household.
Not that he needed to do much. Merlin liked gardening as much as Arthur did. But he could just use magic for most tasks and he had told Arthur more than once that he was 'distracting' him.
Arthur grinned at the thought.

Well – to be fair – it wasn't Arthur's fault – or the lakes fault that the fish wasn't biting. It was HER fault.
"What do you want again!", Arthur sighed upon seeing her. He called her the Siren. Simply because she only ever appeared to Arthur and tried to show him things. To lure him out into the depth of the lake of Avalon.

"Arthur, come with me, please.", she said. Desperate as ever. "Time is running out!"
Arthur scoffed. "Time is always running out with you."

"The kingdom needs you!", she said. For some reason she seemed to believe that he really was the prince. But Arthur and Merlin had made a pact. He wasn't ever going to get certain of his previous identity. Never. He ruled out the possibility out of spite.
He loved his life here at the lake – on their farm. Just Merlin and him. Like things were supposed to be. If Arthur had ever allowed himself some happiness – it was this.
And he wasn't going to let a fish woman take that away from him.