Chapter 13

A.N.://(    @Merthurshipper (on ao3)
Thank you for motivating me to continue this story :)
I've had this sitting as a WIP for quite some time, because I actually have to edit a few things from the previous chapters. But upon rereading it, I have decided it can wait for now.
I will finish it first.
And not to praise myself. But damn I did reread a bunch of beautiful lines and anecdotes and shit.
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ENCOURAGING ME TO REREAD IT!!!!!
I was dreading it so much XD Not anymore. Here you go!

You are right... it has been MONTHS!!!!!

(art: by me. Check out my bio for my social media)

-------------------------------------

Lancelot was clearly having a crisis. And not for the reason you might suspect. In fact, it wasn't exactly the development of Arthur and Merlin being together that shocked him, if that's what you thought.
It was that he hadn't seen it coming. Despite him being the one with the most memories (of the people with the lost memories) and information, he hadn't known. He was Arthur's best friend and he hadn't known!
It was the fact that only moments ago, he was still processing that Arthur was the prince and therefore future king of Camelot.
And now he realized that he was the Ex - boyfriend of his wife. Which neither of them had known.

Then there was the fact that Merlin was a traitor to the kingdom. Lancelot had set his mind to maybe having to protect Arthur from him. Not to find them .... married.
He knew Arthur. He knew how hard changes were for him. How unstable his condition was with all the memory loss and stuff. And he knew Arthur wasn't ready to settle down last time they saw him.
The mere fact that he was ready to leave Gwen and him on such short notice had been a shock.
To find that he now – well – settled down with a man who was apparently ordered to kill him -
That he settled down with a man who promised nothing but problems and changes...

Let's just say this was a lot.
It should be easier for Gwaine – because he remembered stuff that Lancelot didn't. It was easier for Gwaine, because the man had known how little he knew about their situation and was therefore prepared to approach things with an open mind.

Lancelot – was not that.
Lancelot was shell shocked to realize he was suddenly the one who knew the least. When before – he had the most intel on their shared memories. Since he knew about Merlin's magic, even before he had turned against the kingdom.
Gwen hadn't. Arthur definitely hadn't.

Speaking of magic. Arthur had learned to accept magic over the year he had spend with Lancelot and Gwen and well – Katie. Now, all of a sudden, they were back to square one.

Actually, the thought of Arthur getting married had never even occurred to Lancelot.
And for some reason – for all he knew Arthur – he would have expected Arthur needed someone less complicated. Someone who grounded him by being not magical. By being sturdy and uptight. Not such an aloof character as Merlin was.
Furthermore, he had tried to set Arthur up with people before – but Arthur had never picked up on them. He was too uncertain about himself to engage in any form of relationship (Except for friendships.).

Also... Lancelot did remember Merlin in Camelot and he had been much the same.

"Lance, are you okay?", Gwaine finally asked.
And that's when the headache hit him.

---------

"Say, Merlin, have you ever been in love?"

They were at a bar. One of the few nights out that Arthur and his servant attended together.
Lancelot may not be a knight. But he was honorable enough to be invited.
And if Merlin was here, then Lancelot was allowed too.
This game they played – it was truth or dare. Just without a dare. Which made it basically a normal conversation. But with topics they just wanted to annoy each other with. And questions nobody wants to be asked.