Ch-7

Saying that the Cullen house was beautiful was an understatement

Saying that the Cullen house was beautiful was an understatement . It was gigantic , graceful and well proportioned . It was the kinda house you see in home decor magazines . The wall of the house were painted in the tone of faded white . I noticed that their house had lots of windows , almost like a nothing-to-hide kind of house .
Emmett was standing at the door with Alice and Jasper behind him . I got off my bike and walked to their house .
" Hey cool bike" Emmett complimented .
" Thanks"

The interior was twice as lavish as the exterior and the whole house was practically spotless . But everything looked newly purchased and modern  , contrasting the classic vintage decor back there in New Orleans .

" Hello , you must be Ashley ." A beautiful woman with caramel hair and a warm motherly smile greeted me .
" Hi" I smiled back. I noticed she possessed the same unnatural beauty like the other Cullens .
" Ash , this is my mom , Esme" Emmett introduced .
" It's really nice to meet you ." I said politely .
After the introduction , Emmett led me to the living room where we were supposed to do our presentation.
" So which book do we have to do a presentation on ?" Emmett asked deliberately . I'm pretty sure he already knew .
" Fifty Shades Of Grey" I deadpanned . Emmett grinned at my answer and laughed .
" Ok but seriously" he asked .
" Romeo and Juliet" I said with a sigh of annoyance .
" Why you don't like it ?" He asked .

" No it's not that it's just - Love stirs up existential fears. The more you have ,the more you have to lose . The more someone means to us , the more we are afraid of losing them . And these feelings are just" I sighed deeply and continued," Look in short , I have been in love - it's pointless , painful and overrated ." 

Emmett blinked twice and then gave me a nervous laugh," And I'll just ignore just how deep and dark that was" And I rolled my eyes playfully .
" So I'm guessing you have read it ." And I nodded .
" Great then give me one quote" Emmett asked as if testing me.
" Um - Right . For never was there a story with greater woe ; O Bard Alexa play is despacito" I joked and Alice and Emmett started laughing and Jasper broke a smile .
" I don't think that's how it goes" Emmett frowned slightly .
" Kidding ." I laughed and then said ," Emmett , you areth a saucy boy" and Alice laughed even harder and Jasper's smile grew.
" Ha ha hilarious"Emmett rolled his eyes .

————————

Two hours had went by and  nothing was done . We just kept throwing Shakespearean insults at each other and laughing .
Alice had volunteered to come with me to Port Angeles the following day to fetch paint and other supplies to help change the colour of my walls .

" Shut up Emmett and thou can goeth and fucketh thyself" And everyone roared with laughter .
Then my phone rang . I looked at the caller Id - Cami . I got up and went to a corner .

" Hey  Cam what's up?"

" Hey Ash. I'm good . I need your help ." Cami said in a pleading tone .

" Yeah tell me ?"

" It's Hope . She won't stop crying . I gave her milk , baby food , change the diaper . Nothing worked"

" Where's Hayley ?" I asked and Cami explained that she had gone out with Klaus and Elijah for something

" And why does everyone assume I can calm Hope down" I asked

" Because your voice has a certain calming effect , not only on Hope but on all of us and anyway you are her godmother" She explained .

I sighed and asked Cami to put Hope on the line . I heard a soft high pitched crying from the other end .

" Hey baby ." I said softly and started singing. I sang for a very few people .

I remember tears streaming down your face when I said I'll never let you go
When all those shadows almost killed your light
I remember you said don't leave me here alone
But all that's dead and gone and passed tonight.

I noticed that the intensity of crying started to decrease .

Just close your eyes, the sun is going down
You'll be alright, no one can hurt you now
Come morning light, you and I'll be safe and sound.

I used to sing this song to Hope often . Originally , Hayley used to sing me this song . Whenever I was scared , Hayley told me to close my eyes and sing .

Don't you dare look out your window, darling everything's on fire
The war outside our door keeps raging on
Hold onto this lullaby even when the musics gone, gone

Just close your eyes, the sun is going down
You'll be alright, no one can hurt you now
Come morning light, you and I'll be safe and sound
Just close your eyes, you'll be alright
Come morning light, you and I'll be safe and sound

By this time her crying reducing to soft cooing and then after a while even that stopped .

" Sweet Dreams , my princess"

Then Cami took the phone and said ," That was beautiful . You should sing more . It suits you"

" What ? You expect me to randomly burst into a song like in Disney ?" I joked .

" Just when I thought you were getting mature ." And I laughed .

" But anyway how are you holding up ?" She asked .

" I'm fine" I replied bleakly .

" Please talk to me . Don't let it build up . You know what happens if you do that"

" I know Cami . But it's under control ." I said rubbing the bridge of my nose .

" What about the flashes and nightmares ?" She asked .

" I still have them" I replied without any emotion in my voice .

" Do talk to me if you think you need to , Okay ? I know how traumatic New Orleans was for you . 61 right ?" Cami said in a sympathetic voice .

" 67 . And no it won't happen again . Trust me" I heard Cami sigh and she muttered to a 'take care of yourself' and I hung up .

I turned and saw Alice standing at a distance . But when she saw me , she panicked and tried to explain how she wasn't snooping .
" I - I didn't mean to " She stammered .
" It's ok Alice" I replied plainly .

" It's all okay "