Chapter 8

Good day everyone! XD

Here's another chapter!

This is one of the chapters that I enjoyed, so please read and let me know if you guys enjoyed it too.  :)

<3<3<3

++++++++

Prama shook himself from his sad reverie and glanced up as the covers were being removed from the table. "Shall we depart from custom tonight?" he suggested to Tee. "Instead of the us remaining at the table for wine and cigars, would you object if we had them with you in the drawing room? I'm loathe to give up your company."

Tee was unaware of the custom, but in any case he was perfectly happy to break it and said so. When he was about to enter the rose and gold drawing room, however, Prama drew him back and said in a low voice, "I notice you've put off mourning early, my dear. If that was your decision, I applaud it—your mother hated black; she told me that when she was a little girl and was forced to wear it for her own parents." Prama's penetrating gaze held his. "Was it your decision, Nong'Tee?"

"No," Tee admitted. "Khun Luang had my clothes removed and replaced with these today."

He nodded sagely. "Tae has an aversion to symbols of mourning and judging from the dagger-glances you threw his way at supper, you aren't happy about what he's done. You should tell him so," he said. "Don't let him intimidate you, child; he can't abide cowards."

"But I don't want to upset you," Tee said worriedly. "You said your heart isn't strong."

"Don't worry about me," he said, chuckling. "My heart is a little weak, but not so weak it can't take some excitement. In fact, it would probably do me a world of good. Life was incredibly dull before you arrived."

When Tae was seated and enjoying his wine and cigar, Tee tried several times to do as Prama had bidden him, but each time he looked at Tae and tried to bring up the matter of his clothing, his courage deserted him. Tae had dressed for dinner tonight in beautifully tailored charcoal gray trousers and matching coat, with a dark blue waistcoat and a pearl gray silk shirt. Despite his elegant attire and the casual way he had stretched his long legs out in front of him and crossed them at the ankles, he seemed to radiate barely leashed, ruthless power. There was something primitive and dangerous about Tae, and Tee had the uneasy feeling that the Khun Luang's elegant clothing and indolent stance were nothing but disguises meant to lull the unwary into believing he was civilized, when he wasn't civilized at all.

Tae shifted slightly and Tee stole another glance at him. Tae's head was tilted back, his thin cigar clamped between his even white teeth, his hands resting on the arms of his wing chair, his tanned features cast into shadow. A chill crept up Tee's spine as he wondered what dark secrets lay hidden in his past. Surely there must be many to have made him so cynical and unapproachable. He looked like the sort of man who had seen and done all sorts of terrible, forbidden things—things that had hardened him and made him cold. Yet he was handsome—wickedly, dangerously handsome with his wolfish-black aura, dark eyes, and superb build. Tee couldn't deny that, and if he weren't half-afraid of him most of the time, he would have liked to talk to him. How tempting it would be to try to befriend him—as tempting as sin, Tee admitted to himself—as foolish as trying to befriend the devil. And probably just as dangerous.

Tee drew a careful breath, preparing to politely but firmly insist that his mourning clothes be returned, just as Mr. Pawat appeared and announced the arrival of a Lady Ngamkasem and a Miss Fah Ngamkasem.

Tee saw Tae stiffen and shoot a sardonic glance at Prama, who responded with a bewildered shrug and turned to Mr. Pawat. "Send them away—" he began, but he was too late.