Chapter 19

Hello everyone!

Did anyone believed Tae's confession last chapter?

You guys are bad, give him some benefit of the doubt. 😆

Tee is just so gullible.

Enjoy reading!

++++++++++

When Tee went down to breakfast, he was amazed to find Uncle Prama already seated at the table, long before he normally arose, and seeming absolutely overjoyed about something.

"You're looking as handsome as usual," Prama said, beaming, as he stood up and pulled out his chair for him.

"And you're looking even better than usual, Uncle Prama," Tee returned, smiling as he poured his tea and measured in some milk.

"I've never felt better," he declared expansively. "Tell me, how is Tae feeling?"

Tee dropped his spoon.

"What I mean is," Prama explained smoothly, "I heard him moving about in the hall early this morning and I heard your voice too. Tae sounded," he paused delicately, "slightly under the spirits. Was he?"

Tee nodded cheerfully. "Drunk as a wheelbarrow!"

Instead of commenting on that, Prama said, "Mr. Pawat informed me your friend Tangsrisuk was here an hour ago, inquiring rather desperately about Tae's health." He gave him an amused, speculative look. "Tangsrisuk seemed to believe Tae had fought a duel this morning and been injured."

Tee realized it was useless to try to keep the matter from him. He nodded, laughing. "According to what Khun Luang Tae told me, he fought a duel with Lord Tangsrisuk because Lord Tangsrisuk called me 'a country bumpkin.' "

"Tangsrisuk's been plaguing me to distraction for permission to formally pay his addresses to you. I can't believe he called you that."

"I'm certain he did not. For one thing, it doesn't make the least bit of sense."

"None at all," Prama agreed cheerfully. "But whatever the provocation for the duel was, Tangsrisuk apparently shot Tae?"

Merriment sparkled in Tee's eyes. "According to Khun Luang Tae, he was shot in the arm by a tree."

"Oddly enough," said Uncle Prama, amused, "that is exactly the story that mr. Pawat had from young Tangsrisuk!" After a moment, he added, "No matter. I understand Dr. Worthing attended to Tae. He is a friend of Tae's and mine, and an excellent physician. If Tae's health was in any real danger, he would be here right now, caring for him. Moreover, Worthing can be depended upon to keep the matter quiet—dueling is illegal, you know."

Tee paled, and Uncle Prama reached across and covered his shoulder, giving it a reassuring squeeze. "There's nothing whatever to worry about." An inexplicable tenderness shook his voice as he added, "I can't tell you how—how profoundly happy I am to have you with us, my child. There is so much I want to tell you about Ta—about everything," he amended lamely. "The time will soon come when I can."

Tee took the opportunity to again urge him to tell him about the days when he knew his mother, but Uncle Prama only shook his head, his expression turning solemn. "Someday soon," he promised as he always did. "But not yet."

The rest of the day seemed to drag as Tee waited nervously for Tae to appear, wondering how he would act toward him after last night. His mind revolved around the possibilities, unable to leave them alone. Perhaps he would despise him for letting him kiss him. Perhaps he would hate himself for admitting he liked him and didn't want to let him go. Perhaps he hadn't meant any of the sweet things he said.