Chapter 13

Hello!

A slightly long chapter for you guys.

Enjoy reading!

+++++

Tee sat upon the settee in his bedchamber, surrounded by stacks of newly arrived boxes from Monsieur Dumosse containing yet more clothes to add to the stunning variety of walking clothes, riding habits, ball shirts and coats, jackets, bonnets, shawls, long French kid gloves, and shoes that already filled every available storage space in his suite. "Khun Chai!" Shone gasped excitedly as he unwrapped a royal blue satin cloak with a wide hood, lined in ermine. "Have you ever seen anything so beautiful?"

Tee glanced up from Bas' letter. "It's lovely," he agreed weakly. "Please just call me Tee as before. How many cloaks does that make?"

"Yes Khun Tee, its eleven," Shone answered shyly, stroking the soft white fur. "No, twelve. I forgot about the yellow velvet lined with sable. Or is it thirteen? Let me think—there are four velvet cloaks, five satin ones, two furs, and three woolen ones. Fourteen in all!"

"It's difficult to believe that I used to manage quite nicely with two," Tee sighed, smiling. "And when I go back home, three or four will be more than enough. It seems such a waste for Khun Luang Tae to squander his money on clothing I won't be able to use after a few weeks. In Chiang Mai, people don't dress in such finery," he finished, his attention returning to Bas' letter.

"When you go back home?" Shone whispered in alarm. "Whatever do you mean? I beg your pardon, Khun Tee, forgive my asking."

Tee didn't hear him; he was rereading the letter, which had arrived today.

Dearest P'Tee,

I received your letter a week ago and was very excited to learn you were coming to Bangkok, for I hoped to see you at once. I told Grandmae I wished to do so, but instead of remaining in Bangkok, we left the very next day for Grandmae's country house, which is little more than an hour's ride from your previous residence in Khon Kaen. Now I am in the country and you are in the city. P'Tee, I think Grandmae means to keep us apart, and it makes me very sad and quite angry. We must contrive some way to meet, but I will leave that to you, for you are much better at thinking of schemes than I am.

Perhaps I am only imagining Grandmae's intentions. I cannot be certain. She is stern, but she has not been cruel to me. She wishes for me to make what she calls "a brilliant match" and to that end she has in mind a gentleman named Joss. I have dozens of splendid new shirts and pants of every color, although I cannot appear in most of them until I make my debut, which seems a very odd tradition. And Grandmae said I cannot make my debut until you are betrothed to someone, which is another tradition. Things were so much simpler at home, were they not?

I've explained to Grandmae innumerable times that you are practically betrothed to P'Godt and that I wish to pursue a musical career, but she does not seem to listen.

She never mentions you, but I speak of you anyway, for I am determined to make her relent and ask you to stay with us. She does not forbid me to speak of you; it is only that she never says anything when I do, which makes me think she prefers to pretend you do not exist.

She merely listens to me with an expression on her face that can best be described as blank and says nothing at all.

Actually, I have quite badgered her to death about you—but discreetly, as I promised you I would. At first, I merely spoke of you, injecting your name into the conversation whenever possible. When Grandmae remarked that I had a fine face, I told her you are much handsomer; when she commented on my skill at the piano, I told her your talent is greater; when she remarked that my manners were acceptable, I told her yours are exquisite.