Chapter 18

Hello!

Before we start, let me introduce you to Marquis de Salle. You'll be hearing more of him from this chapter. It would be nice if the character has a face right?

 It would be nice if the character has a face right?

Yeah, Mean Phiravich Attachitsataporn

I think you all know Tin from Love by chance.  😊

Alright... moving on.

Enjoy reading!

+++++

In the weeks that followed, Tee experienced the full impact of Godt's defection. At first he was hurt, then he was angry, and finally he felt a dull, aching sense of loss. But with strength and determination, he made himself come to grips with his betrayal and face the painful knowledge that his former life was permanently over. He learned how to cry lonely, private tears for all he had left behind—and then put on his best suit and his brightest smile for his friends and acquaintances.

He managed to keep his emotions well hidden from all but Khun Luang Tae and Copter Varodom, who both came to his aid in different ways—Copter by keeping Tee busy with a ceaseless round of social activities, and Tae by escorting him to almost all of them.

For the most part, he treated him like a patronizing older brother, escorting him to parties, the theater, the opera, and then, once there, leaving him to enjoy his own friends while he spent the evening with his. He was watchful, though, and protective—ready to swoop down and run off any admirer he disapproved of. And he disapproved of several. To Tee, who was now aware of his reputation as a shocking libertine, it was rather funny to watch the khun luang turn the icy blast of his gaze on some overly avid admirer and stare the unfortunate gentleman into mumbled apologies and a hasty retreat.

To the rest of the ton, Khun Luang Tae Darvid's behavior was not only amusing, it was odd, and even a trifle suspect. No one believed that the couple intended to marry—not when Tae continued to welcome Tee's beaux into his home and to state repeatedly that their betrothal wasn't actually finalized. Because of those things, and because their betrothal had been announced before the Khun Chai ever set foot in Bangkok, it was generally believed the betrothal had been arranged prematurely by the ailing Mom Luang (who was openly fond of both of them) and that the couple was merely keeping up the pretense of being betrothed for his sake.

Now, however, that theory was beginning to be supplanted by a less kind one. From the very beginning, there had been a few sticklers who had voiced objections to Tee's living arrangement, but because he had seemed such a sweet boy and because Khun Luang Tae had shown him no real partiality, no one else had listened to their objections. However, as the number of Tae's public appearances with Tee increased, so did the gossip that the notorious Khun Luang Kreepolrerk had decided to make a conquest of him—if he hadn't already.

Some of the most vicious gossips even went so far as to intimate that the betrothal was nothing but a convenient disguise for a licentious liaison being carried on right beneath poor Khun Janean's nose. This piece of slander was repeated, but very little credited, for the simple reason that, although Khun Luang Tae frequently acted as his escort, he did not behave in a proprietary, lover like way. Moreover, Khun Chai Thanapon had acquired a great many staunch defenders, including Khun Luang Copter and his influential husband, both of whom took extreme personal offense whenever anyone dared breathe a word of criticism about Khun Chai Thanapon.