Chapter 17

Are you still holding that thought?

Then... Enjoy this chapter.

+++++++

The task of selecting the best prospects from amongst the increasing number of Tee's suitors, preparing that list became far more difficult for Prama than the last time. By the end of the following week, the house on Bangkok was overflowing with bouquets of flowers brought there by a parade of eager gentlemen all hopeful of gaining the distinction of winning his favor.

Even the elegant Frenchman the Marquis de Salle fell under his spell, not despite the language barrier, but because of it. He appeared at the house one day in the company of his friend, Baron Perawat, and another friend who had stopped to pay a morning call on Tee.

"Your French is excellent," the marquis lied with suave, meaningless gallantry as he wisely switched to English and sat down in the appointed chair.

Tee looked at him in laughing disbelief. "It is dismal," he declared ruefully. "I find the nasal tones one uses in French almost as difficult to imitate as the guttural ones used in Apache."

"Apache?" he inquired politely. "What is that?"

"It is the language spoken by a tribe of American Indians."

"American savages?" echoed the Russian baron, a legendary horseman in the Russian army. His expression of boredom changed to one of rapt interest. "I have heard that these savages are superb horsemen. Are they?" (AN: Please be advised that the views and opinion of the characters do not reflect of those of the writer.)

"I've only known one Indian, Baron Perawat, and he was quite old and very polite, rather than savage. My father came upon him in the woods in Chiang Mai and brought him home to nurse him back to health. His name was Rushing River, and he stayed on as a sort of helper to my father. However, to answer your question, although he was only half Apache, he was indeed a superb horseman. I was twelve when I first saw him do tricks, and I was speechless with wonder. He used no saddle and—"

"No saddle!" the baron exclaimed.

Tee shook his head. "Apaches don't use them."

"What sort of tricks could he do?" asked the marquis, far more interested in his intoxicating face than his words.

"Once Rushing River had me place a handkerchief in the middle of a field; then he rode toward it, his horse running full-out. When he was nearly there, he let go of the rope bridle completely, leaned way down and to the side, and scooped up the handkerchief while his horse was still running. He taught me how to do it, too," he admitted, laughing.

Impressed despite himself, the baron said, "I would have to see this before I believed it. I don't suppose you could show me how it is done?"

"No, I'm sorry. The horse must be trained in the Apache style first."

"Perhaps you could teach me a word or two of Apache," the marquis teased with a coaxing smile, "and I could tutor you on your French?"

"Your offer is very kind," Tee replied, "but it would not be at all fair, for I have much to learn and little to teach. I remember very few of the words Rushing River taught me."

"Surely you could teach me one phrase?" he prodded, smiling into his sparkling eyes.

"No, really—"

"I insist."

"Very well," Tee capitulated with a sigh, "if you insist." He spoke a phrase in guttural accents and looked at the marquis. "Now, try to repeat it."