Chapter 15

Hello again!

Double update!

Hell yeah, because I can! Woohoo!

+++++

Kimmon's prediction about Tee's success turned out to be true. The day following his ball, twelve gentlemen and seven young ladies came to call upon Khun Chai Thanapon, pressing invitations on him and begging for a closer look at Hades. Mr. Pawat was in his glory, ushering callers in and out of the lounge and snapping instructions at the footmen who carried tea trays into the various sitting rooms.

By the time supper was served at nine o'clock, Tee as too exhausted to consider going to any of the evening's balls and soirees he'd been invited to by his callers.He hadn't gone to bed last night until nearly dawn and he could scarcely keep his eyes open as he picked idly at the dessert on his plate. Tae, on the other hand, looked as fresh and vital as usual, despite having worked in his study all afternoon.

"Khun Tee, you were a dazzling success last night," he said, turning his attention from Prama to him. "It's obvious Suparat and Tangsrisuk are already besotted with you. So is Khun Luang Tharatorn, and he is considered the season's best catch."

His sleepy eyes filled with laughter. "That particular expression reminds me of salmon!"

A moment later he excused himself to go up to bed. Tae bade him good night, a smile lingering on his lips at the younger's quip. He could light up a room with his smile, albeit a sleepy one. Beneath his artless sophistication, there was sweetness and intelligence, too. He sipped his brandy, remembering how he had charmed the society last night with his beauty and laughter. He had won over Mr. Pawat completely, by playing Mozart especially for him tonight. When he was finished, the elderly butler had tears in his eyes. He had followed that up by sending for Ohm and playing a rousing jig for him. By the end of it, a dozen servants had gathered outside the drawing room, loitering about in order to eavesdrop on his impromptu concert. Instead of ordering them to disperse and go about their duties—as Tae had been about to do— Tee turned to them and asked if they had any special favorites he could play for them. He knew all their names; he asked about their health and their families. And tired though he obviously was, he kept up his performance at the piano for more than an hour.

All the servants were devoted to him, Tae realized. Footmen smiled and bent over backward to please him. Housemaids rushed to do his tiniest bidding. And Tee thanked each of them warmly for every service they performed. He had a way with people; he could win over mom luangs and butlers with equal ease—perhaps because he treated them both with the same sincere, smiling interest.

Idly, Tae twisted his brandy glass in his fingertips. Without Tee, the dining room suddenly seemed gloomy and empty. Unaware that Prama was watching him with a gratified twinkle in his eyes, Tae continued to sit there, frowning at Tee's empty chair.

"Tee is an extraordinary young man, is he not?" Prama prodded finally.

"Yes."

"Ravishingly handsome, and witty to boot. Why, you've laughed more since Nong'Tee came to us than I've seen you laugh in a year! Don't deny it—the boy is unique."

"I don't deny it," Tae replied, remembering his intriguing ability to look like a Khun Chai, a milkman, a forlorn child, or a sophisticated man, depending upon his mood and surroundings.

"He's charming and innocent, but he has spirit and fire, as well. The right man could turn Nong'Tee into a passionate, loving man—a man to warm his bed and his life." Prama paused, but Tae said nothing. "His P'Godt has no intention of marrying him," Prama continued meaningfully. "I have no doubt of that. If he did, he'd have contacted him by now." He paused again, and again Tae said nothing.

"I feel sorrier for that Godt fellow than for Tee," Prama added with sly determination. "I pity any man who is fool enough to ignore the one man in a thousand who could make him truly happy. Tae," Prama demanded, "are you paying any heed to all this?"

Tae sent him an impatient, puzzled look. "I've heard every word. What has all this to do with me?"

"What has all—?" Prama sputtered in frustration. Catching himself, he continued more cautiously. "It has everything to do with you, and with me too. Nong'Tee is a young, unmarried man. Even with Khun Janean here as his chaperone, Tee can't continue indefinitely to live in a house with one bachelor, and another bachelor who spends every day here. If we go on like this for more than a few weeks, people will assume the betrothal's a sham and that he's really another of your conquests. When that happens, they'll cut him dead. You don't want to cause the boy humiliation, do you?"

"No, of course not," Tae said absently, staring at the brandy in his glass.

"Then there's only one solution—he'll have to marry, and quickly." He waited, but Tae was silent. "Won't he, Tae?" he urged.

"I suppose so."

"Then who should he marry, Tae?" Prama demanded triumphantly. "Who could turn him into a loving, passionate man? Who needs a spouse to warm his bed and give him an heir?"

Tae shrugged irritably. "How the hell should I know? I'm not the matchmaker in this family, you are."

Prama gaped at him. "Do you mean to tell me you can't think of the one man he ought to marry?"

Tae tipped the brandy glass to his lips and quickly drained it, then put the glass on the table with a decisive thud and abruptly stood up. "Tee can sing, play the piano, curtsy, and read french," he summarized decisively. "Find a man with a good ear for music, an eye for beauty, and a love of dogs. But make certain he has a placid disposition—otherwise he'll drive him to distraction. It's as simple as that."

When Prama stared at him open mouthed, Tae said impatiently, "I have six estates to run, a fleet of ships to keep track of, and a hundred other details to concentrate on. I'll take care of those things. You take care of finding a spouse for Tee. I'll cooperate by escorting him to a few balls and soiree's during the next week or two. He's already caused a sensation. With a little more exposure at a few more functions around town, he'll have more suitors than you'll know what to do with. Look them over when they call on him and draw up a list of the most likely candidates. I'll go over the list and pick one."

Prama's shoulders slumped with weary defeat. "As you wish."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Hayayay Khun Luang Tae, you have a long way to go... tsk tsk tsk.

You can comment  below 👇 and let me know what you  guys think! XD

Thanks for reading and stay safe! <3<3<3