Chapter 10

~~Nathalie~~

I opened my eyes to darkness. It wasn't the kind of dark that lulls you to sleep or the calm of the night. It was cold darkness that wanted to consume everything it touched. I don't know why it scared me but somehow it did. It made my ears ring and heart pound faster.

By first instinct, I got out of bed and called to Gabriel. My head felt stuffy like I couldn't think straight. It felt like I couldn't remember anything but at the same time, I wasn't trying to. I couldn't control what I was doing. Almost as If my body moved itself. I walked through the halls as they stretched longer and longer trying to keep me away from his room."Sir?"I asked to darkness as I opened the door to his bedroom. It was empty. The bed was neatly made and the room was much tidier than usual. The darkness clawed at his room greedily enveloping the still area.

I was getting increasingly worried. My heart hit my chest harder begging to be let out of the confined space. My head raced numbly in my head hoping for anyone or any light besides the surreal dark moonlight pouring from the windows.

I ran as fast as I could to Adrien's room hoping to see him sound asleep in his bed. That would surely calm me down. At least to know that he was safe would be reassuring. I cracked open the door to his room gazing over to his bed only to find it empty. It was neatly made and the mess in the room was also cleaned miraculously. I gazed over the only light that seemed to shine in the darkness. Adrien's computer. The background was a picture of his mother...a picture of Gabriel's wife. It felt as if it were a direct message to me that I wasn't enough. That I never would be.

And just as soon as I blinked I was back in my room. The white curtains blew softly from the wind coming from the window above my bed. I blinked again letting the dream sink in. I rolled over and pushed my face into the pillow preferring to return to the nightmare than discuss last night's events."Nathalie?"Adrien pushed open the door to my room."I slept in didn't I?"I asked looking up at the boy."Yep..."He said before fully opening the door with a tray with breakfast with coffee."I uhhm...I wanted to make you something to eat...I know sometimes you get sick so I thought maybe I would make you some food and let you sleep in just in case."He smiled walking over to me. Adrien was such a sweet boy."That's very nice of you Adrien but I can't accept this."I smiled getting up."I would like it if you did though...Oh, and by the way, before I head out for school Dad is in his room still sleeping so you can choose to wake him up or let him sleep in."Adrien said setting down the food and heading out of the room.

I got up and dressed decided to eat the food Adrien made and wrote down a note bringing it with me to Gabriel's room while sipping coffee.

When I got there I quietly entered and stuck the note on his forehead before walking to the office to get my days work done.

Within an hour Gabriel got up but he was still getting ready for the day and multitasking with everything he did. He ate breakfast while looking at Emails and Texted me while he was in his room(presumably changing into something else) and those are just a few examples of what he was doing. Eventually, though he was ready and once he stepped foot into the office I had already finished all my work."You could have woken me up" He said grumpily."Actually, Adrien was the one who suggested letting you sleep in. I just thought it would be a good idea."I said used to his little fits of anger by now."Right well...I plan on having our talk by now but it will have to wait I suppose."He said as I sighed with relief."Right well then...In the meantime, I could..."I trailed off showing him the peacock miraculous."I'd rather you didn't...But I suppose it's your choice."He said with a sigh."Well, I do want to..."I said looking into his eyes. He gave me a sharp glare but still pressed his fingers into the painting revealing the secret entrance to the lair.

Without a word, I stepped onto the platform which lowered me down.

For a moment I just sat there in silence letting butterflies land softly on my skin. They reminded me of Gabriel...It almost felt as if they were showing me his affection that he wanted to hide. I had planned on being Mayura but I didn't feel like it anymore. The sun coming through the giant window tickled me. It was so serene and silent...It was beautiful.

"Not now," I said as the butterflies flew off of me. I clipped the pin onto my chest and duusu flew out."Duusu spread my feathers!"I yelled feeling the wave of emotions flood me. I could sense so many emotions at once because of the miraculous.

There was just one thing though...Even though the miraculous was fixed it had still had an impact on my health. Every time I used it the side effects would get worse and worse. I wouldn't ever tell Gabriel so I just hid what was happening to me...

I just wanted him to be happy.No matter the cost.