Chapter 13: Sidekicks and Partners

Rydel's pov

"Any luck?" I asked breathlessly.

"Nop" Vanessa said sitting on the edge of the step, catching her breath.

For the past hour all of us have been looking for Laura and Ross. They disappeared into thin air! After both of them went outside, they never came back in, and that was yesterday!

Some heavy steps are heard running this way. Everyone's head quickly snapped up to see Riker running this way. He stopped right in front of us putting his hands on his knees as he caught his breath.

"I went to Ross' house," he said. "His mother hasn't seen him since he left for the movie"

Everyone sighed. We were really starting to get worried.

"Where the hell could they have gone?!" Rocky huffed frustrated.

"You think they could've hooked up or something?" Riker shrugged.

I scrunched up my face "Ross wasn't exactly on Laura's good side this month"

Vanessa nodded in agreement while the guys just looked at us with confused look on their faces.

"What did he do?" Ratliff asked.

"None of your damn beeswax" Vanessa said "Jesus, why are boys so nosy" she mumbled.

"Hey I think I know where they might be," Riker said "come on" he grabbed Vanessa's hand and ran down the street out of our sights.

"Come on lets go" Ratliff said grabbing my hand and pulling me down another street.

Rocky huffed "I guess I'll go this way... alone!" I heard him yell.

Ratliff stopped and released my hand. I surprisingly found myself missing his touch.

What did I just say?

"Is there a reason you dragged me here?" I asked, a hint of annoyance in my voice. I mean, he made me run!

He shoved his hands in his pockets and shrugged. "I don't know, I wanted you as my partner since Riker grabbed Vanessa, I figured..."

"Oh" I said looking at the floor awkwardly, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.

"So..." he began "how have you been?"

I looked at him for a brief second to find him staring back at me "I've... been pretty good" I said, not looking away "How about you?"

"Oh um I've been good" he replied.

"I've been meaning to ask you," I said, "how did you end up in detention?"

"Funny story" he smiled and scratched the back of his neck.

I smiled back at him.

"Well you know how I always planned to prank Mr. Hathaway" he began.

I covered my mouth with my hands "You didn't!"

"Yup" he smiled his 'million-dollar-smile'

"What did you do?"

"Well my initial plan was fake puking next to him but I sort of had a miss calculus" he laughed.

I burst out into laughter "I... can't... believe... you did that" I said in between laughs.

"Well you know me..." he said.

"Yeah Mr. Prankster" I laughed lightly punching his shoulder.

He smiled and punched me back.