15. The Blindest Betrayal

This will be in Danse's Pov

It's been  2 weeks since Haylen told me the truth about my identity, I don't know what to feel anymore heck if Andrea still cares about me. After the first week of being in this bunker I've had to ration the food that's was already here, I ran out of water two days ago leaving me  very thirsty. My heart hasn't stopped pounding since i arrive never knowing when i might come face to face with a fellow Brotherhood soldier just to take my last breath before dying only seconds later.

From my time as a Brotherhood soldier i've learnt to accept my fate and go out with pride and dignity knowing I for filled my purpose but now i don't know what my purpose is anymore. I haven't been able to sleep since my last mission, whenever i was able to I would just have nightmares  and wake up with cold sweats. When i first arrived at the bunker and after i snuck past the turrets in nothing but my jumpsuit and my gun, I powered up the protectron for extra defense hoping  no raiders see this place as another one of their outposts.

I feel lost all the memories I have from  growing up in Rivet City and owning a junk stand to having a purpose are gone.
All I have now is the memories of Andrea.

i sighed at the thought of her. Her beautiful long brown hair  swaying perfectly in the wind to her ocean blue eyes piercing my own brown ones to her smile. Nothing could change how much she impacted my life. Whether she's the one to put the gun to my chest or someone else. I can't imagine her having to make such a difficult decision, but i have no doubt that  Maxson would send her to hunt me down and kill me.

But then I saw her standing there through the open gap that separated the two of us, her hair was in a side braid,grey bags under her ocean blue eyes. she hadn't slept at all.She didn't mutter a word, she just stood there and stared at me so I stared back.

She  smiled softly at me before walking round to me as she comes through the doorway she ran into my arms wrapping her arms around my neck,holding me close  and cried only muttering  five words  "I'm glad your alive,Danse "

I hugged her like it is the last time, i buried my head into her neck taking in her scent before she pulls away from me as she slaps me round the face

"What was that for?"I spoke holding my face where she slapped me

"That's for leaving and not telling me that you're a fucking synth, I was worried sick"She shouted through gritted teeth"I thought we told each other everything!"

"If I'd known about my true identity sooner you would've been the first person I'd tell."I spoke as I fixed my hair.
She was still only centimetres away from me as she stared at me"really?"

I nodded before realising what she doing here"What are your orders,Andrea? Does Maxson even want me alive?"

"No he sent me to hunt you down and kill you."she sniffed as she looked down before i lifted her head up with my hand

"Look, if you go against your orders not only are you betraying the Brotherhood but undermining everything we stand for."

"I don't care Danse, i can't  go through with it." she pulls away from my hand as she tucks a loose strand of her brown hair behind her ear. "If i kill you I'd be betraying myself. I love you Danse, I've lost my family way before we met and i'm not losing you too."

I let out a little sigh as i sat on the steamer trunk that was in the room"i love you too but you've sworn an oath to destroy the Institute and every synth  that you find...I can't be the exception."

"I didn't swear to shit, Danse!"She shouted"Where's the evidence that I did?"She started to pace back and fourth in the room with her arms crossed over her chest"Why didn't you tell me,Danse?"

"I didn't know, before Quinlan got that list decoded i thought synths were the enemy. I never expected to hear that i was one of them. If it wasn't for Haylen we wouldn't be having this conversation." I spoke,feeling very defeated

"How could you not know you're a synth?"She spoke agitated by the words I  spoke.

"It doesn't make sense to me either.It feels like a cruel joke. I remember being a child,i remember growing up in the ruins...everything. I supposed they programmed that all into my head. "I spoke"I mean, I feel like I've been in control of my entire life, making my own decisions and determining my own fate. Even though the proof states  I'm a synth, I don't feel any different then I did before. I still feel like a human."

"the empathy that you're showing me...It's a human emotion besides I don't want to loose you. You mean too much for me to just kill you Danse."She spoke as she slowly approached me as she spoke

"You're right. How could i have been so blind?,  I can't run away from what I am. To find peace, I need to face the fact I'm my own worst enemy and live with the consequences." I spoke,standing up"Here take my holotags to prove you were successful,"

She doesn't  hesitates and grabs my holotags instantly putting them around her neck.before she kisses me through the tears she was holding back before she pulls back and wipes her tears"Let's get out of here"

She holds her hand out and I grab it intertwining our fingers together as she leads me out of the bunker. with her loaded gun in the other.

As we come out the door we were met with a surprise.

"How Dare You betray the Brotherhood!"Maxson hissed