Chapter 12- Old Habits

We finally make it to the hospital, where they rush Adam on a stretcher to the Emergency Room. Your relationship with Adam is severely flawed, but you know you can't bear to lose him. He is in critical condition and as of right now, he is not allowed to have any visitors. I pace back and forth in the waiting room for hours but what seemed like days. My heart starts to break as I realize that I'm not even wearing my engagement ring. The guilt was eating me up inside. It felt like I couldn't breathe, I felt immense pressure in my chest, as if I had been stabbed in the heart 10 times, gasping for air, knowing I may never see him again.

You see doctors rushing back and forth in and out of his room. This only makes your anxiety worsen. You overhear some of the doctors speaking regarding Adam. You hear them mention that he is not responding well and they need more staff asap. Your heart wrenches and you are panicking to the point that you pass out. The doctors are so focused on Adam, that they do not see you at all for hours. Eventually, they notice that you're passed out and bring you into your own room. You wake up hooked to an IV and your memory is fuzzy.

Suddenly, the doctor walks in.

"Hello Y/N. How are you feeling?" the doctor says

"What happened?" you ask

"You passed out, most likely due to panic. We know you came with Adam so would you like an update?"

"Of course." you say.

You have never felt so nervous in your life. You hope that he is okay.

"Unfortunately Miss, it is not looking too good as of right now. He is in very critical condition, and it seems as though he is in a coma."

Your heart sinks. You knew it wasn't good, but you did not expect him to be in a coma.

"We'll take care of him and do our best to ensure he makes it out healthy. You are free to go Miss.

You leave your hospital room and go back to the waiting room. You walk towards the receptionist.

"Hello, is Adam Jones allowed visitors? I'm his fiance." you ask

"Unfortunately, he is not in the condition to have visitors." the receptionist responds.

You're devastated. All you want to do is make sure he's okay.

"Please can I just see him for a few minutes? I need to see him now..." you say

"Hurry up then. I'll pretend I don't see you." she feels sorry for you and gives you a smile, permitting you to go.

You walk to Adam's door. Your heart is pounding. You open the door and see him lying there, practically lifeless.

"This is all my fault" you think to yourself. You are overcome with guilt.

Tears are streaming down your face as you just stare blankly at his beaten body on the hospital bed.

"Ms. L/N....... Unfortunately, Adam's vitals are unstable and we have to monitor him closely every single day, in hopes of his improvement. We are going to keep him in the ICU and if it happens that we deem him unable to be revived and you decide to leave him, we can take him off life support."

"Thank you, doctor. I understand." you say

You glance at Adam one last time before you exit the hospital.

*ring ring ring ring ring*

"Hello?" you answer your phone

"Hey Y/N. I'm really sorry about beating up your fiance. It was wrong of me and I should've contained my anger better. I just couldn't stand to see him speak to you that way. You deserve so much better Y/N. I hope you're doing alright, I brought over some flowers to apoligize for my actions."

"Um.. Adam is in the Hospital....."

There is a long pause

"I'm so awfully sorry, Y/N, I never thought about how severe the damage was, If you need me to pay for any medical bills, I would pay..... This is all my fault, I just wanted to protect you..."

"....It's alright Timothée...." you say

"Maybe I can come over and make dinner for you?" he asks

You realize that having him with you would make your night a whole lot easier. After all, the last thing you want to be is alone.

You go home to your apartment and prepare for Timothée to come over.

*Knock Knock*