Chapter Nineteen

The last time that I was flung back to the past, I was not yet a teenager, but this time I can tell that I am in my first year of high school. At a gala of sorts that my father put on to have kids of his partners come to mingle with each other, since we all go to the same school. I'm sure that the Fakes are here somewhere, but this is just a memory that I get to relive.

"I really don't want to be here," I groan, leaning against the wall of the ballroom. "What does it matter that we are friends with these kids?"

I can hear the low rumble of music, but there is no way that I am able to recognize any of the songs. The lights in the room are not as bright as it could be, but I am still able to see everything clearly.

"We are here to make our father happy," Yoongi replies. "Becoming friends with anyone here is not required of us." He's dressed up in a nice suit and his hair all styled.

"Someone is going to want to become friends with us," I roll my eyes, running my hands over the light purple dress that I picked out for this event. Well, that Sooyoung picked out for me. "Everyone wants to be with the Min kids."

Yoongi chuckles, "Is that what people call us? The Min Kids?"

I giggle, "Stop trying to be funny," I give him a shove.

It is crazy to see me this playful with Yoongi in such a public setting. He's always stoic, making sure that no one but I am able to see his kind and caring side. Not since our mother died. This scene is abnormal, but I am sure that Yoongi had moments when he would act like this that were taken from me. It's not like anyone is coming up to us.

"You know that I am oh so funny," Yoongi leans into me, poking my side. "Come on, cheer up. This isn't the worst thing that you have had to go through."

"I know, I know," I sigh. "I'm just not in the mood to be around all these people. I want to be in bed, snuggling with my stuffed animals, and watching a good show."

"That would be nice," he sighs. "I'd want to snuggle with you though. Having a nice time with my little sister. Still, we have to toughen up and power through the rest of this evening. Then we can spend the whole day together, in your room, tomorrow. Just the two of us with all kinds of snacks."

"That sounds perfect," I let the gummy smile take over my face. "Ugh, can this just be over?"

"Ah, Yoongi, Areum, I knew that I would find you off together," my father steps up to us with a grin.

I feel my heart clench seeing my father alive and happy. It's been getting harder each day to recall his voice, and his face is slipping from my mind. I can barely imagine going as long without him as my mother. I scarcely remember anything about what she looked like, or smelled like, or sounded like. She is shrouded in fog that will never lift.

"What are you doing over here?" I ask, pushing up onto my toes a few times in excitement that maybe we can leave.

"I was coming to grab Yoongi," my father places a hand on Yoongi's shoulder. "I wanted to introduce him to a few some people."

"What about me?" I grab the skirt of my dress. "Doesn't anyone want to talk to me with you? I'm just as important as Yoongi."

"Maybe next time, pumpkin," he tenderly smiles at me. "This is a bit more mature than what you are used to."

"I know about what is going on," I grumble. "I know Bangtan's true purpose."

"That's right, Areum is now a part of the inner workings," Yoongi slings his arm around my shoulders. "She should start to interact with the partners."