Chapter 2

Chapter 2

'There is no such thing as magic.'
His uncle's voice echoes in his mind in his mind as he reads.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore
(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chf. Warlock, Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. Of Wizards)
Dear Mr. Potter,
   We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.
   Term begins on September 1. We await your owl by no later than July 31.

Yours sincerely,
     Minerva McGonagall
Minerva McGonagall
Deputy Headmistress

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

UNIFORM
First-year students will require:
Three sets of plain work robes (black)
One plain pointed hat (black) for day wear
One pair of protective gloves (dragon hide or similar)
One winter cloak (black, silver fastenings)
Please note that all pupils’ clothes should carry name tags

COURSE BOOKS
All students should have a copy of each of the following:
The standard book of spells (Grade 1)  by Miranda Goshawk
A History of Magic  by Bathilda Bagshot
Magical Theory  by Adalbert Waffling
A beginners’ Guide to Transfiguration  by Emeric Switch
One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi  by Phyllida Spore
Magical Draughts and Potions  by Arsenius Jigger
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them  by Newt Scamander
The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection  by Quentin Trimble

OTHER EQUIPMENT
1 wand
1 cauldron (pewter, standard size 2)
1 set of glass or crystal phials
1 telescope
1 set brass scales
Students may also bring an owl OR a cat OR a toad
PARENTS ARE REMINDED THAT FIRST YEARS ARE NOT ALLOWED THEIR OWN BROOMSTICKS
-

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Harry went to his backpack and pulled out a piece of paper and a pen (all of which were originally bought for Dudley but never used) and wrote a reply.

From the moment he ripped open the letter and read the earth-shattering words concealed within, Harry has been repeating the same phrase in his mind. 'There is no such thing as magic.' And yet, here it was. All the proof he needs to disprove his Aunt and Uncle's open and shut philosophy. There IS such thing as magic, and he, Harry James Potter, can use it. He is a wizard. And he is going to attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, damn the consequences. And, quite frankly, his Aunt and Uncle can suck it. There is so much more to this world than his cupboard under the stairs, and he is going to reach out and take it.
------------------------------------------------------------------

"Dudley, breakfast!" Harry awoke with a start to his Aunt's shrill voice and his cousin, Dudley Dursely, lumbering down the stairs. Today is the day. He is finally going to tell his Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon about his Hogwarts letter.

'Not that they'll believe me' Harry muses.

Harry dresses quickly, hoping to avoid the daily complaints about his apparent laziness.

So what if he didn't wake up at ass-o-clock in the morning. It'd be a miracle if Dudley woke up before noon if he didn't have his mother yelling at him like a banshee every morning. Not that it matters. Dudley was their "perfect little angel". Well, let me tell you, Dudley Dursely is the furthest you can get from angelic without heading into demonic territory… And he definitely isn't little either.

Putting his thoughts aside, Harry prepares for battle…

He enters the kitchen.

"Finally! I was beginning to think you had died." Petunia says to Harry in a stern voice.

"Yeah, you can't go around getting our hopes up like that, Potter." Dudley remarks with a smirk on his face. 'Wow. And how long did it take you to come up with that one?' Harry thinks to himself, although he'd never said it aloud.

Petunia shoved her spatula into his hands, snapping him out of his thoughts. With this, Harry went over to the stove, flipping the eggs that are still cooking in the pan expertly. Cooking came naturally to Harry at this point. And why wouldn’t it? He had been cooking for the Durselys since he was 6 years old. Shaking his head, he puts those thoughts aside.

'Best not think about it’ he thinks to himself.

When the eggs are done he places them on a large plate and brings it to the table where the Durselys are seated. Dudley, who has already helped himself to the bacon and pancakes made by his mother, tears the plate from Harry’s grasp the moment it is within reach. Harry rolls his eyes, exasperated.

“Well, what are you still standing there for, boy?” His uncle Vernon looks up at him disapprovingly.

“There was actually something I wanted to talk to you about.” Harry says timidly.

“Then spit it out. We haven’t got all day.” Comes the shrill voice of his Aunt.

“I got a letter the other day and –“

“Someone wrote you a letter? Why would anyone do that?” Dudley interrupts Harry.

‘Thank you, Dudley, for yet another thrilling addition to the conversation.’ Harry thinks sarcastically. Harry looks at Dudley… And promptly ignores him.

He turns back to his Aunt and Uncle saying, “It came yesterday afternoon. It’s from a school called Hogwarts. They… they say I’m a wizard. They say I have magic.”

Dudley immediately starts laughing. “You really have gone mad, haven’t you!? You know there’s no such thing as magic.”

‘God, could he be anymore annoying and unhelpful?’ Harry thinks.

Harry dares a look at his Aunt and Uncle, awaiting their fury, only to find two identical looks of horror on their faces.

“Did you say the school was called Hogwarts? Are you sure?” Petunia asks him hurriedly.

“Yes, why-“ he’s cut off by Vernon.

“You’ll not be going! I will NOT send you to some school to learn magic tricks from that crack-pot old fool they call a headmaster.” Vernon says the word “magic” as if it were acid on his tongue.

Harry comes to a startling conclusion, "You knew…”

“Of course we knew,” Petunia begins,” How could we not? What? With my perfect little sister being what she was. When you showed up on our doorstep, I knew you’d be just as strange, just as unusual. I knew you’d be a freak, just like you mother and father.”

Petunia’s glass of orange juice shatters next to her and Vernon is instantly standing. “You will not perform magic in this house, and you will not be going to that school.” Vernon fumes, causing Harry to back away from his uncle’s bulk nervously. 

His uncle lunges at him, smacking Harry across the face with the back of his hand and knocking him to the floor. He then takes Harry’s arm into his meaty hand and drags him forcefully through the hallway.

He opens the door to Harry’s cupboard and shoves him inside, glaring unapologetically at him when he stumbles and falls, hitting his head on the way down. Vernon slams the door and locks it.

Seething, he says,” You’ll not be coming out until you learn some respect, boy.” Then, he promptly leaves Harry alone in the dark, wondering what he had done to deserve a life like this.