twenty two

it's not everyday that someone survives a bullet to the head.

the authorities rushed into corbyn's home after neighbors called, hearing gunshots go off in the house. the next door neighbor, a student and classmate of corbyn and maisie, called the police. earlier in the evening, he saw maisie go into corbyn'a home. and also knowing that daniel and maisie were family, the student ringed daniel and him and his mother drove right to maisie's home.

keri got flashbacks from the night when maisie's parents were murdered. she prayed and prayed that the two, especially maisie, were both alright. daniel couldn't stop thinking about maisie and ran through every red light to get to corbyn's house.

daniel parked and him and his mother ran to the police tape before they were stopped by an officer.

"this is a crime scene, no one can come through," he said.

"please, i'm one of the victim's legal guardians. we're all she has, please let us through," keri pleaded.

the officer saw the tremendous amount of sadness in both keri and daniel's eyes. he slowly nodded, and guided the two into the house before talking into his radio that he was letting the victim's family inside.

daniel and keri were guided to the kitchen where two bodies laid under a white tarp. keri clasped her hand against her mouth and daniel froze at the scene in front of him.

"do you want to confirm one of the victim's under here is under your guardianship?" an investigator asked.

keri nodded. one of the medics lifted the tarp but placed a small towel over the forehead. the medic fully lifted the tarp.

daniel and keri broke into tears right as they saw maisie. keri grabbed onto daniel and they both cried as they held onto one another. the medic lifted the tarp off corbyn to which they both broke down even more.

two medics came with stretchers. one took corbyn and the other took maisie. the medics took the two out of the house and the officer guided the distressed keri and daniel back outside.

out on the patio, keri and daniel were both questioned. they answered as best as they could and by the end of their interrogation a medic yelled from the ambulance.

"we have a pulse!"

keri and daniel both shot up at the announcement. before they could find out who it was, the ambulances sped quickly away from the home.

the investigator turned back to keri and daniel.

"i have just one more question, if i may," keri asked.

the investigator nodded.

"do you have any idea who killed them?" she asked.

the investigator took a deep breath before placing his notebook and pen back into his pocket.

"we have reason to believe this was a murder-suicide. we have some theories already and some have already been confirmed," he answered.

"what theories were confirmed?" daniel asked.

the investigstor knew he shouldn't be telling them so much information. nonetheless, he proceeded.

"one of the bodies, corbyn besson, is the sweet caroline killer. we believe he constructed this murder suicide. i'm heading to the hospital since a pulse was found. whoever came out alive, maisie seavey or corbyn besson, will be interviewed immediately after they've fully recovered." the investigstor pulled out a small card and handed it to keri. "i will call you once i find out."

the investigator retreated, leaving daniel and keri on the patio steps.

they didn't say a word to one another. keri held her son close to her as they both processed what they were just told. daniel looked down to his wrist at the bracelet maisie had got him from new york city. he fidgeted with it as he reminisced his last moments with maisie.

keri closed her eyes, remembering every time she saw corbyn besson. and thought her motherly instincts proved her right about her doubts on corbyn besson, she just wasn't quick enough to save maisie.

and now, it was too late.