Ch. 4 (Kate)

I must have been tired because I did not wake up once during the night and I always wake up when I'm in an unfamiliar place. Well, I mean, I used to always wake up. Who knows what I'm like these days.

I check my phone and see I have a text from Sarah.

Sarah: Hey! The doctor called me to say you're awake! It's about time! jk. He mentioned you arranged a ride home and he also told me you have retrograde amnesia. What?! In case you don't remember where we live - here is our address - 450 South Main Street, Apartment 5C. Also, who's taking you home? I'll be home tonight xx.

Me: Hi Sarah, yeah I can't really remember the last 2, 2 ½ years....I'll see you tonight and thanks for the address. I actually don't remember where we live haha. As for the ride - I'll fill you in tonight.

Sarah: Sounds good, girl. I'll see you later.

I hope Sarah won't be too offended that I don't really remember our friendship. My last memories of her, we were still trying to get used to being roommates in our small dorm room. We got along, but I always skipped out on the outings and hang outs she invited me to in favor of spending time with Dylan. The first two months of freshman year were a big adjustment for Dylan and me. We were both living away from home for the first time, adjusting to college life and classes, and I was desperately trying to be the accommodating girlfriend.

I shake my head of all the thoughts as they're starting to stress me out. I'd tell myself "no use dwelling in the past", but I literally have to dwell on my past to recover my memories. I attempt to get some more sleep as it's only 8am, but it's no use. I'm up.

The doctor comes in shortly after I pronounced myself awake for the day and does one final check on me. I'm all cleared to go home to finish recuperating and I don't need to come back until my check-up unless I start to feel sick, dizzy, or anything like that. Nora is on duty again and I'm glad to have her around since she immediately puts me at ease.

"The doctor is just signing off on your paperwork and you should be able to get out of here in the next hour."

"That's such a relief. It'll be nice to be in my own bed - whatever that looks and feels like," I roll my eyes.

She laughs, "Well, regardless, I'm sure it'll be better than sleeping at the hospital with all the machines beeping and whatnot."

"And the smells," a shiver goes through me.

"What smells?"

"Okay, that's when you know you need to retire, Nora. You're immune to the smells!" I laugh, joking with her.

"Well missy, I'm glad your spirits are up" she winks and rubs my arm. "I'll let you know when the paperwork is done and I'll help you get all unhooked from the machines and ready to go."

"Okay, thanks so much."

As Nora walks out, I get my phone to call Dylan.

He picks up on the 2nd ring, "Hi Dylan, it's me, Kate."

"Hey Kate, how'd you sleep?"

"Really good, actually. I was passed outtttt. Didn't even wake up in the middle of the night or anything."

"Really? You must've been exhausted. You always wake up when you're somewhere new."

He remembered?

"Yeah...that's right."

"So did anything change for today?"

"Change?"