Ch. 38 (Dylan)

I woke up this morning before sunrise and felt exhilarated. Yesterday was one of the best days of my life. Not only did I get to see zebras and giraffes and elephants at the watering hole again, but I found out Kate was officially single. I was a little hurt at first that she hadn't told me earlier. Not that she owes me anything, but she kept it a secret for weeks, which stings. It's hard for me to understand why she would deliberately keep it from me, but I know she has her reasons and I guess that's all that matters.

We kissed last night and although we had a whole makeout session at the concert this was different. There was no confusion left behind or feelings of guilt because she was free from her ties with Carter. I'm hoping she feels the same way and isn't waking up right now with a pit in her stomach regretting it all.

I creep out of the bedroom and see her bedroom door still closed and she's not out on the deck. I figure she'll probably be up soon because she would not want to miss another sunrise. I call for some coffee to be brought to the room and make myself comfortable out on the deck.

The room service waiter brought in coffee cups, a piping hot and colorful coffee pot, and some complimentary pastries and fruit. I hoped I wasn't wrong in thinking Kate would be awake soon or else she'd be left with cold coffee. As if she could hear my thoughts, I heard her bedroom door open.

"Do I smell coffee?" She asked in a raspy morning voice, eyes squinting, standing in the doorway of the deck with her arms wrapped around herself, wearing the jersey.

"Yup and it's nice and hot."

"It smells divine," she shuffled out towards the seat next to me.

"Coffee beans harvested right here in Tanzania. Near Mt. Kilimanjaro according to the menu."

"Mmm, that's good coffee," she said after her first sip, eyes closed and the coffee cup nestled in her hands.

"Ready for safari day 2?"

"Yes! Well, as long as I don't have to hear Bethany's baby voice all day long."

I laughed, "At least it gives us more stories to tell."

"That's true."

We sat beside each other at the little table for a while longer, basking in the morning light and peaceful land all around us. To my surprise, Kate didn't take her camera out this morning. I asked her about it and she said she was trying to be better about enjoying the moment. I'm guessing Lizzie told her to savor the morning at least once while she was here without seeing everything through a camera lens.

"I'll bring it back out tomorrow morning, but for today I'm just living in the moment. I'll have it with me during the game drive though of course."

"Naturally," I smiled.

When Kate went in to get ready for the day, I caught Lizze before she left for work.

"Hey, Lizzie," I looked back to make sure Kate couldn't hear me from her room.

"I want to do something for Kate this evening. I have an idea, but it's going to take some planning. Would you be able to ask her to do an early dinner - like a sisters dinner - while I get it all set up?"

She was instantly intrigued and wanted to know what I was planning, but I wasn't sure it was going to work out yet so I didn't want to give anything away in case I had to change up plans.

"You don't think she'll insist you come along? She'll think it's sad to leave you on your own."

"I'll insist that it's fine and that you guys should spend some alone time together. You know, girl time."