Ch. 29 (Kate)

"I am so excited for this girls' weekend. You don't even understand." Sarah zips up her duffle bag and checks her purse to make sure she has everything she needs.

My aunt called me a few days ago to check in with me since my parents are still on their research trip. During the conversation she offered me her beach house for the weekend. My last memories of the house are from quite a few years ago, but I'm sure I've been back there during my foggy years. The house is a beautiful 3 bedroom house right on the beach on a private, secluded section of the Jersey shore. I immediately took her up on the offer and asked Sarah and Mallory if they wanted to do a girls' long weekend. It didn't take much convincing. The only thing Sarah had to do was find someone to cover her at the cafe and luckily she didn't have to work at the hotel.

It's still late May so the summer crowds aren't all over the beach yet, plus this is a private stretch of beach so it's going to be nice and quiet. The ocean is going to be way too cold, but my aunt and uncle have a heated pool and hot tub so I make sure to bring a swimsuit and towel.

I've spoken to Dylan since the concert and things don't seem to be awkward or tense between us. I haven't seen him in person though. It's silly and a little immature, but I'm afraid to see him in person right now. Not only because I snapped at him the last time I saw him (I'm still a little embarrassed about that), but because I haven't broken up with Carter yet and I don't need to do anything else that will weigh on my conscience right now.

"Got everything?" I ask Sarah as she digs through her purse.

"Yeah, I think so."

Just then, there's a knock at the door.

"Hey Mallory," I say as I open the door.

"Hey!"

"Is Josh here?" I peek outside the door into the hallway.

"No, he just dropped me off. He had to go do something with Dylan."

"Oh okay." I don't know what I was hoping for. Did I really think Josh would drop some hint or mention of Dylan?

"I can't wait for you guys to see my aunt's beach house. It's so nice and it's going to be such a relaxing weekend." We gather our things and start to head down to the parking garage.

Sarah drove us the hour and a half to the little beach town where the house is. We passed cute restaurants with patrons eating lunch on the shaded verandahs. We passed adorable ice cream shops and little boutiques.

"Turn right up here," I pointed to a small sandy road ahead.

Sarah carefully turned onto the sandy road and we drove slowly along for a few minutes until we reached the house. It was just as I remembered it, with some upgrades. New landscaping, and new pavers on the walkway to the front door.

"Here we are, ladies!" I could smell the salty sea air and feel the breeze coming off the ocean which is always so good for the soul.

"It looks so nice!" Mallory gushed as we emptied the trunk of our bags, food, and alcohol.

As the girls got the unpacking of the car situated, I walked over to the neighbor's house to get the key to my aunt's place. She called them to let them know I'd be here for the weekend and asked that they give me the spare key.

"Got the key!" I said a few minutes later. We let ourselves into the beautifully modern beach house. Floor to ceiling glass windows overlooked the beach and ocean, just past the pool, hot tub, and stone patio with firepit in the backyard. The house had a large open kitchen that flowed into a living room with comfy couches, big screen tv, and glass coffee table. Fish bowls filled with seashells gave the room a seaside feel without being too theme-y. There was a large bathroom just off the kitchen that continued the subtle seaside theme with shiplap walls and artwork with beach scenes and seascapes.