Ch. 35 (Kate)

By the time we arrived at Dubai International Airport and finally got off the plane, went through Immigration, got our luggage, and found our driver (complimentary from our hotel) I was wiped. I was dreaming of collapsing onto a downy bed and getting a nice, uninterrupted sleep. I wanted so badly to fall asleep on the car ride to the hotel, but I got a semi-second wind with the excitement of being in a foreign country and seeing all the giant skyscrapers and modern buildings everywhere. It was noon and I was in awe of the city sights and water views of the Persian Gulf. And it was only daytime! I can't even imagine how amazing it will look all lit up at night. I continued watching all the sights out of the car window as Dylan made small talk with our driver. I was too tired to even try to contribute to the conversation.

"Wow, this hotel is swanky," Dylan whistled as he looked up at the towering hotel in front of us as we got out of the car.

"It's so fancy and beautiful," I said, equally amazed. We walked through the glass automatic doors to check in and the bellboy took our luggage.

The glass elevator whisked us to the 35th floor where a 2 bedroom suite awaited us with sweeping views of the city and sea. "Forget the safari, let's just stay here for 10 days." I fell backwards onto the bed in the room that I had claimed.

"That sure is tempting." Dylan was taking photos of the views with his phone. "It's really nice of your parents to set us up here. They must've spent a fortune."

I waved my hand dismissively, "They said they had a ton of unused hotel points. I guess they don't get to do much traveling these days being in Antarctica."

"Still, I should get them a nice gift or something. I mean, you're their daughter but I'm just a kid that grew up with you and your ex-boyfriend," he laughed.

"We'll find something nice for them from the both of us," I assured him. "Okay, what should we do here? All the people I see on social media that visit Dubai always rave about the shopping and food. The food is supposed to be ah-maze-ing. Like, any food you want. They have everything here."

"Well we only have 2 days here and I think as tired as we are right now, we're going to get smacked in the face with jet lag tomorrow. I foresee lots of food and beach time in our future."

"That sounds good to me. Maybe we can take note of things we'd want to see for a future, longer trip here." I looked away as soon as I said that. Planning a future vacation when I haven't even told him I broke up with Carter?

"Yeah, that sounds good. How about we order some room service right now for just something quick to eat and then take a short nap? Then we can go out and have dinner and take in some of the night time sights. We can talk to the concierge too about places to go tomorrow and a nice beach to go to."

"Perfect. Let's figure out what to order so I can take a quick shower before I nap and wash these airplane germs off me."

Our eyes were bigger than our stomachs and we ordered sandwiches, pasta, salad, pizza, and dessert to share. It was absolutely delicious. This food made me extremely excited for dinner and all the food we'd eat tomorrow. If room service food could taste this good then I can't even imagine what the food at the real restaurants would be like. Heaven on earth, I'm sure.

After the most luxurious shower in the marble bathroom and 2 hour nap in a bed fit for a queen, I woke up and got ready for an evening out. It took a little prodding and a few slaps on the back to get Dylan to get up and get ready to go. I knew he was tired, but I didn't want to waste the little time we had in this wondrous city, sleeping.

I put on a navy blue short sleeve jumpsuit and sandals and Dylan put on khakis and a polo. It was hot out, but we didn't know what the dress code at the restaurant we'd end up at would be. After a quick conversation with the concierge we made a late night reservation at a mediterranean restaurant that was walking distance away and had magical views. We also booked a night time walking tour that would begin soon.