Chapter 18

The road to Loftain was not a difficult route, but they still needed to be cautious about what they ran into. They could run into pretty much anything on the road, yet that would not stop them from going any further. Being older and stronger than his wife and daughter made Julius able to protect them from whatever comes their way. It would have been a much simpler situation to get to the city if they were not worrying about lots of things outside. The outside world has been a dangerous place ever since the demons took over pretty much all of humanity.

Julius and Lucy were ready to go to Loftain, but Julius needed to check on Lagertha to see if she was ready to come with them. Lucy brought nothing that would not seem important because she might not need them while at the feast. In fact, nobody brought anything to the feast because all they would discuss are things dealing with battles and tales of triumph. At the banquet, people would hear Harald speak for them because he is their leader, and he decides what happens. Then Julius walks to Lagertha's bedroom door and starts knocking on it to get her attention.

"Lagertha, are you ready?" Julius asked.

"Yeah, I'm ready," Lagertha said.

"Good. We have to get there as soon as possible," he said. Then, he walks away from her door and waits for his daughter to make sure she grabs whatever she needs.

Lagertha grabs her sketchbook and puts it underneath the back of her shirt, and she grabs a pen already filled with ink and puts it in her pants. Depending on what kind of feast it might be, she keeps a pen in her pants if she ever gets bored with anything. Then, she made sure that her long brown hair ran down to her waists and became certain that she left nothing behind. She was always a person who came prepared for anything that seemed very important, and she could not forget a single thing that she would call significant. Then, she exits the bedroom, closes the door behind her, and gets caught up with her mother and father.

"Okay, I'm ready," Lagertha said. She was just as ready to leave her house as her family, and they were prepared to get this celebration over with.

Then Julius grabs his cloak as everyone else does, and he opens up the front door and exits the house. Lucy made sure that nothing was left unchecked and looked to see if all the candles were blown out. Lagertha looked down at the floor and thought of something else as she was the next to leave the house. Lucy was the last person to leave her home, and she closed the front door behind her. Then, Julius walks onto the road, turns to his left, and begins walking on the long trail that led to the city of Midland.

Every minute, Julius would turn his head to see if his family was catching up or not. Whenever he monitors his fellow knights, he does the same with Lucy and Lagertha. He refused to abandon them and leave them alone because they are the only ones left in his life besides his brother. Julius was a gentle person who always showed love and kindness to everyone related and a part of his family. He was going to do the same with his brother because of how much he has known him.

Then, Lucy moved further towards Julius as Lagertha stayed behind them; she did not want to be involved with their secrets.

"Hey, how are you and Harald doing?" Lucy asked.

"Why do you ask? You're sometimes with me at Loftain," Julius said.

"Well, you know. Word comes around, there's usually a demon hunt one day and the next, and some people prefer not to discuss such things," she said.

"Is that so? In case if you're wondering, no... we haven't gotten into an argument and we never disagreed on any terms. After these years, he is still the same old brother as he was ever since he became the earl. A reason there have been so many demon hunts as of late is because of how much they have been multiplying. I can't refuse the offer, no matter how many times he tells me to do it. During these times, it's my life or their lives."

The way Julius spoke these words to his wife was in a way that she should be extremely careful of where she desires to go and what to do while going there. Julius has been through enough travels and adventures to know and understand what the world has in store for him. The three of them continued to walk on the road and keep up with each other as the afternoon continued. The sun was shining down on their backs and remained in the sky until the night came. Julius sees Loftain where he was standing and realized that he was about fifty yards from reaching the city.

"Well everyone, we're nearly there. We just have to keep moving," he said.

"How many people do you think will attend the feast?" Lagertha asked.

"From what I understand, my brother is just calling up all the servants and rulers to be the first ones to attend. Later on in the day, we will have the entire city attending the banquet," Julius said.

"Where do you think your brother will make Lagertha and I sit if you'll be the first one to be there?" Lucy asked.

Then Julius answered and replied, "I know my brother. I know that he'll make you two sit with us. If my brother knew my wife, then I know his wife and son. He is a tender-hearted person, so he'll know exactly what to do with you and Lagertha. We've all known one another, and we've understood each other since the beginning. So, just relax. He will take care of all of your concerns."

And so, Julius led the way to Loftain, and he was still open for questions. But it seemed like Lucy and Lagertha no longer had anything else to ask him; he must have understood that Harald will be the one to answer their questions. He was leading the way and remaining serious about whatever danger might lurk in their direction. Julius was not afraid to pull out his greatsword and fight whatever seems deadly and unholy. Julius walked on this path and acted as if nothing bad or unexpected seems to happen at the moment.

It was about ten minutes later that they finally reached the gates of the city and noticed how huge the walls are. The walls of Loftain and Midland were the most highly secured walls out of every other city and kingdom. It mostly had to do with the fact that a thousand knights and archers were preparing the walls with their very lives. Julius and his family walked into the city because all the knights and the citizens knew of both him and his family. They knew that he had a family to protect from the demons because all men of royal blood must take the oath and swear to protect his entire bloodline from the night creatures.

Meanwhile, Harald was staring at the city's entrance from a faraway window and knew that it was Julius with his wife and daughter. He puts on his cloak and steel boots, and he walks as quickly as possible to meet up with his younger brother. Erica noticed how fast he walked outside and tried to catch up after him as everyone else was busy with other things.

"Harald, why are you going so fast?" Erica asked.

"It's him. My younger brother is here. And he brought his family, as well," Harald said.

"That's fascinating. It would be great to be able to talk to his wife. She must have so many things in his mind," she said. Little did Erica know; Lucy was not the best speaker and usually a little shy for seeing someone she has not seen in years.

Then Julius saw that Harald was fast walking towards him to greet him and welcome him to his kingdom. He has never seen his brother that hyped up and eager before; Harald always seemed very serious about telling others about what they really are. As they met each other, both Julius and Harald bowed down to each other as this shows they honor each other. Lucy and Lagertha started on from a foot away and became stunned at how Julius was bowing down before his brother. Then, they both stood up and shook each other's hands before Harald could address them.