Chapter 26

Midnight has come, the full moon lights up in the sky, and there are no stars to be seen. It was only an hour after Julius and his family came back home and immediately went to sleep. Even on a special night such as yesterday, the dark visions could not escape Julius's mind and leave him alone. It is said that those who killed a million creatures of the night go through a troublesome cycle that leaves them to experience eternal darkness. The demons knew Julius after seeing so many of their friends and comrades brutally killed by his sword.

Then Julius opens his eyes and hears the sickening noises of the demons making their sounds and interrupting his sleep. He knew that they were here, and they would be everywhere around him and tempt him for the rest of his days. The time of the demons to hunt or be hunted has come once again, and Julius already had his eyes opened. Then, he slowly gets himself up from the bed and checks his surroundings to make sure they were not coming into his house. Julius did not want to upset his wife like he did yesterday morning, and he did not want the cycle to repeat itself.

Then, he pulled up the cover of the bed and covered Lucy's shoulders; he wanted to make sure that his wife does not get shivers from the cold wind. He then kisses his wife on the cheek and slowly walks away from the bed, and he exits the room while midnight has already come upon him. Then, Julius sees his armor and greatsword laying next to the front window; he was relieved that it was not misplaced by anyone. He gazed upon every single part of the living room to check and see that nobody got up. Then, he puts on his armor without making a sound and without disturbing his wife's sleep.

Thankfully, Lagertha was a heavy sleeper and never woke up after hearing any noise from the background. Then Julius grabs his greatsword and puts the blade along with the scabbard onto his back after wrapping himself with his cloak. He knew just by feeling it that the hour of hunting down a thousand demons had come and ready to begin. Then, he takes one last look at the house and makes sure that he has the house key, and he places it in his back pocket. For so many years, he devoted his life to save and protect his family from the night creatures.

Then Julius opens the door and exits the house, and he slowly closes the door behind him and locks the door. This is to prevent anyone from barging into his home unnoticed and unrecognizable; he was never really that fond of strangers coming to him without summons. Then, he ambled onto the long, dark road that went on and on, and he stopped for nothing. Lately, something has been calling him from the abyss and there was no other way out of it. Then, he followed the black cloud that had been waiting for him at his home, and there was not a reason to be answered for him.

Then Julius ambled to make sure that the black cloud did not disappear from his sight. The only thing that could hold him back from walking any further is the sight of many demons waiting to sink their teeth into human flesh. Then, he heard the same demonic spirits saying his name and tempted him to come closer towards them. He then pulls out his greatsword and holds onto it for the rest of the way to whatever place he is, forcing himself to end up. He looks up to the sky and commands the spirits to tell him what vile magic is happening and why must it occur upon him.

"I know you're out there, Helvegen! I know it is you above all demons that seem to have a habit of calling me these past nights!" Julius shouted. There was no answer from the misty shadows, and no creature could so much as give him a reason they called him outside.

"Show yourself, Helvegen! You will not get away from me so easily!" He shouted. Julius was more than determined to force his sword into the body of the one who keeps forcing him outside.

Then, he continues to walk onto the long, dark road for an hour to figure this nonsense out. He was already awake and there was no turning back for him as a new day was already upon him. Julius already had a peaceful night with his family, and he kept all of those special days locked deep into his heart. But now, there was no more peace or tranquility for him as he lived on in this dark world of demons. Then, he heard another shriek in the night as the moon was still visible, and it was the only thing for him to help him see clearly. He noticed that the clouds were disappearing from his sight and made him notice the grass below him along with the trail.

"Come out and face me, servants of Hell. You will find no mercy from me!" Julius shouted. Then, he saw that a dozen demons were standing before him and holding onto their swords and axes to finish him.

Julius then looks up and sees an enormous mountain before him and realizes that it was the same place Helvegen told him about. And so, he looks forward and sees the winged demon walking towards him to tell him of something that nobody else should know. The other demons stood there and kept their swords to themselves and waited for something intense to happen.

"I have been waiting for you, Julius," Helvegen said.

"For the last time, Helvegen. You will tell me exactly what you want from me and why you could not kill me. You had the perfect opportunity to make me end up with a sword in my chest," Julius said.

"That's correct. I told you before, I saw you worthy after you killed a million demons and still lived to tell your tales to your friends."

"I shall kill a million more! I will not rest until you're all sent back to Hell! Your unholy demons murdered my father and destroyed my family's name and honor, and you shall pay the price! You scum. You abominable monsters. I will take pleasure in soaking my sword into all of your guts!"

"And so, you shall. But I am here to test you... not end you. Were I to end you, we wouldn't be having this conversation? Your head would already be one of my trophies and your sword would already be broken. But things change. I could give you the power to dominate us all now that you have killed one million night creatures."

Julius stood there and became clueless about everything that Helvegen was saying to him, and a few demons were getting a bit confused. They were wondering if they were following and trusting the right person or not, and they spoke amongst themselves about this matter. Helvegen led these demons and created a mighty tower for himself to keep trespassers away from him. But he refused to tell anyone of his real self and who he was before he became what he is now: a powerful demonic creature. Now, he had the perfect opportunity to tell Julius who he truly is and why he waits so long to tell the knight leader his actual identity.

Then, Helvegen said to him, "I have wandered the lands of the earth for as long as I can remember. I come from a land called Bohemia and my proper name is Anton. Like you, I have killed hundreds of thousands of demons. After I've killed the millionth creature, great darkness clouded my soul, and I made a deal with a demon king that cost me my flesh and blood. Throughout my life, I have killed many who were deserving and few who were not. I was like you once, a hunter of the night.

"I hated the demons. That is until everyone I've ever known and everyone I've ever loved turned their backs on me. They all shunned me out and cast me away from society. Then, a large black wolf stood before me with its red eyes staring back at me. He gave me the power of eternal life and the gift to wield unlimited power. Because of that, I became what I am now... I stand before you as a vessel for the king of Hell."

As he heard this, Julius opened up his hand and stared at the palm of his hand. He slowly realized that he was standing before someone who was once a powerful knight like he was.