Chapter 38

There were also a few ledges in the back of the palace where Lagertha could run and climb up. She always saw herself as a climber, and she can move very silently and not get caught by the guards. Those who can creep and hide in the shadows are assassins who can even blend with society. There were barely any assassins on the earth because their organization must have gone extinct after the demonic invasions. Lagertha had everything she needed to leave her house and go towards the back of the palace without being spotted.

Meanwhile, a large group of forty knights was following Julius and Balvu to the castle of Stonethorn. All the knights were carrying swords, axes, shields, and spears to use against their enemies. Julius's soul grew darker as the moon was above him, and none of his comrades checked in on him to see how he was doing. He needed to keep his inner-self able to make him still be human and not be able to turn into a dark creature before his knights. There would be an outcry amongst everyone he ever knew, and he would most likely be taken to the earl for treason.

It was during that time that Lagertha had already finished her dinner and waited for the night sky to get even darker. She needed to wait for the right moment at the right time for the palace's lights to be on. Usually, their views would be on if the night has come, and guards would be on the lookout for any invaders and demons. Luckily, no demons were coming their way, and no creatures were out there to land a spear in their chest. A few minutes later, Balvu walks closer towards Julius to see if he is ready for such an intense battle between them against the night creatures.

"Julius, you seem pale. What troubles you?" Balvu asked.

"Nothing at the moment. I'm just hoping we get to that castle in one shape. No point in getting into such a place if we lose all of our men in one swoop," Julius said.

"Don't worry, commander. I'll make sure that our men have their swords at the ready. I pity them if they never heard of such a massive place. The kingdoms of this world used to be ruled by true kings and queens. Now, they are ruled by the creatures of darkness. And they will stop at nothing until everyone one of us is dead."

"I'll make sure that the vast majority of these men still live to tell their stories to their other friends. Such is my purpose of being a leader of Midland's knights. I have killed much more than the earl himself, but if something terrible happens to me... get every man and run back to Loftain. Do not look for me."

Balvu heeded every word that Julius said and promised to retreat if Julius is devoured by one of them. Because he was still loyal to the throne, Julius still cared about his men and had every opportunity to make his way into the castle of the demon king. He always swore to his men that he would look out for them and protect them from every demon who tries to lay their hands on his comrades. Mephiles was still inside Julius's soul and knew the right moment to strike back against the ones who are his master's enemies. Julius and his men were only about six miles away from reaching Stonethorn's castle and held onto the handle of his blade until the castle was in plain sight.

Meanwhile, Lagertha hears her mother's bedroom door close, and her mother closes her eyes and goes to sleep. Then, Lagertha opens up her window and turns her head around to see if her mother will come running to her daughter's room. Lagertha had her black cloak on with her hood covering her face; she had on what she wore to bed along with her boots. Then, she jumps from the window and exits her house, and she made sure that she did not interrupt her mother's nap. Luckily, Lucy could not hear her daughter leaving her home because of how much of a heavy sleeper she is.

"Now, just to be sure, nobody stops me. Thankfully, I can see the palace from here. I just need to find out how to get inside from the back," Lagertha said. But she could not go the way her father always takes to get to the palace.

If she took the straight way to Loftain, she would most likely get caught by the guards and be mistaken for somebody else. She goes straight into the forest and follows another path that could lead anywhere near the palace. Lagertha did not have any weapons with her and had no way to defend herself against anything. She was thinking about everything her mother said to her during the afternoon. She likes to believe that by being told of her future, her mother would be opened to speak her mind.

Lagertha finds herself in a vast forest, which will lead her anywhere that will make the guards unable to know where she is. She followed the moon which gave her some sight in knowing where she would go in the night. The moon was big enough and bright enough to provide her with some insight into where the road will take her. Then, she comes across another mysterious being who was walking on the same trail as she was. Lagertha stood there and noticed it was none other than Brynjar of Anduin who walked towards her.

He had no other person being beside him and knew himself to be someone who walks alone in the shadows.

"It's been a long time coming, Lagertha," Brynjar said.

"Who are you? How do you know my name?" Lagertha asked.

"I know you—Lagertha of Stockholm. I had a feeling you and I would meet together someday. I did not expect it to be this night."

"Well, I don't know you. Yet, my mother has told me a lot about you. Even if you know me, then you'll know that I have somewhere to go to. If you know who I am, then stay out of my business."

"You're going to that place, aren't you? The palace? Do you know how to climb to the earl's son's room? Don't worry. I've been there, myself. I could take you there, but you must not like small talk."

"As of right now, all I need to hear from you is your reason for being in front of me. Coming from someone like you, you know how to explain yourself carefully."

She was not wrong about that because the night was already upon them, and she knew her time was being wasted. She also knew that she could not give him a specific time on when to make him stop talking. Brynjar thought about a big reason because he knew deep inside of her; there was a hidden gift. Such a tremendous gift should not be taken away from her grasp, but Brynjar saw much more from her. Lagertha waits another few seconds to hear him out, and she walks even closer towards him to hear him more clearly.

Then Brynjar said to her, "The only reason I'm here is so I can warn you. You must be warned about this world's dangers. The demons will one day revolve around your spirit, and you won't be able to do much about it. Another reason is that there is an even greater truth ahead. A truth that even your father is afraid to share with you. He will probably be forced to carry such a heavy burden for the rest of his days."

"What is the truth? Tell me. I need to know."

As she said this, Brynjar looked at her for a long while and remembered what he kept in himself. He promised his friends that he would not share such secrets they sent to other people. Brynjar knew Lucy had a daughter, but he waited for the best opportunity to be away from his fellow men to be with Lucy's daughter.

Then, Brynjar answered and spoke with her, saying, "The truth is... Julius and Harald are not brothers. King Lancelot found him as a little boy and raised him as his own. Julius's birth mother and father died many years before the demonic invasions. You were led to believe a pious lie and a brief story of how Midland's last king raised two men. You and the earl's son share a sacred bond. He and you will do something one day."

Lagertha stared at him for a brief moment and had many surprises enter her head.