Chapter 49

Meanwhile, Harald was in his bedroom and looked out the window to look at his city. Thankfully, Loftain's foundations were still standing and never ceased to fall and ruin the legacy his father gave him. He thinks about the one he cared so much for and asks how it is all possible, and if it's true or not, that Julius has betrayed his command. But he still had the truth inside his heart that Julius would never betray him and never do things against his will. As he looked outside, his wife came inside the room to see if he wanted to be talked to.

Erica never received word about what has happened with Julius and the knights, as her husband was not with her through the morning. She saw that he was afraid and sorrowful about many things, but she had no desire to disturb Harald since he wanted to be alone. So much has been promised to him by Julius, and he believed he would never receive it because he was no longer with him. It was the first time in a long while that he became extremely frustrated with how much damage he could do to himself because of Julius. He had many questions to ask the knight leader when he returned to the palace.

"May I speak to you, Harald?" Erica asked.

"Of course, Erica," Harald answered. She walked closer towards him and looked at the paintings on the walls and remembered how much it all means to her and her husband.

"I have a question. And I don't think anyone else will answer them except you. Do you care for me to speak my mind?" Erica asked.

"Yes. I got plenty of time. I suppose I won't be doing much today," he answered.

"How are things with you and Julius? I trust everything has gone according to plan, yes? Even if you show compassion towards him, you've been looking much different around him," she said.

"Things have been perfect between us. He and I have accomplished so many things for the good of Loftain. It's not by looking different that I would go against him. It mostly has to do with the fact that this city needs someone to be in charge of making sure everything is intact. Such is my purpose of being a ruler of this town. And who else should I trust to lead the knights of Midland into battle?"

"Well, you have a point there. But there's so much more I need to know. Julius often returns with his group, doesn't he? So why hasn't he returned with his men back here? Why was the second-in-command responsible for leading them all back to this city without their leader? I'm sorry if you can't answer much, but I just need answers."

The way she spoke lit a fire inside Harald's head as he tried to think of a definite answer. She answered so many questions at one time, and it made the earl scratch his head for a short while. He thought of the time when Balvu came to him and told him everything about Julius being with the demons. He knew having the power to dominate minds was from the night creatures; humanity never discovered such magic in ancient times. And so, he thought of what he wanted to say to his wife, but it would make his heartbeat increase faster than usual.

Then he answered and said to her, "Julius... is now someone I never thought would come true. He broke the hold of the demonic castle. He dominated the demon king instead of killing him. I was told that he made the creature his servant and said that he would build an army for his own. And that is not happening on my watch. I'm worried, Erica. Worried about what will happen to him and all of us."

"Well, I know the laws and the rules of being a citizen of Loftain. Any person who would disobey the order of the earl should be brought to his knees and confess his guilt. If Julius has become that person, then he should be brought before us in chains," Erica said.

"I've known him my entire life. I've seen so much pain from both Julius and me after receiving word of my father's death. My life's work is in his name," Harald said.

"You must do the right thing, Harald. It's what your father would want. It's something that must be done for the good of this land. It's his choice if he wishes to plead guilty."

"There will not be a trial. Only I will speak to him and decide his fate. If he refuses to receive my blessing, then the people will determine what must happen to him. If that doesn't work... then I'll let God himself decide his fate."

"And that's why you're the earl of Midland's last remaining city. Therefore, I rule by your side. You and Julius have done what no other person could not. But I see that those days are over and this man you once called a brother is now a dominator of demon hearts. If you don't do something soon, he might do something to you that shall remain in you for the rest of your days."

Harald knew that it was impossible to argue with his wife, and he saw it was worthless to go on any further on what to do with Julius. He lays his hands on Erica's shoulders and keeps them there for as long as it takes for him to calm himself.

"Allow me to think about it. I could go to his home myself and ask his daughter and wife what he has been doing. Just... give me some time," Harald said. Then Erica leaves her husband alone and leaves the bedroom as Harald continues looking out the window.

Erica closes the door behind her, and Harald is left all by himself where he could come to his senses and think about his next move. He did not know if whatever he is going to do will reflect the way he will view himself in the future, or it could end up as a trial by combat. Only a mercy killing could be better for Julius if he goes to the palace by walking the long trail. Harald looks down at his hand and tries to think about a better way to endure such madness befalling himself and Julius. He then sits down on his bed to think of something to announce to the general of the knights.

"Julius, is this what you want? I must know. I need to know. I'll just have to let you come to me. I have no other choice," Harald said. He was not hungry for either breakfast or lunch because of how much it burns him to give up on someone who has never disowned the earl.

Meanwhile, it was later in the morning that Lagertha walked around outside with her mother's permission. She was thinking about so much she has done with Brant and wondered when an excellent time for her will be to see him again. She had so many things going around in her head; she had her father having problems with the night, and her mother not feeling herself for such a long time. There was nothing she could do to make them stop feeling so bad about themselves and be back to normal. Her best method was to ignore them and let them take care of their problems, even if she had no issues in her home.

"I did Brant a favor. I even stripped down in front of him. Does that make me a hooker or a stalker?" Lagertha asked herself. She did not feel like she did anything wrong in front of the earl's son, but she felt warm for sleeping with him.

"I hope last night didn't ruin any chance of me ever getting to see him again. He must think I'm delusional for taking everything off. Don't look at me like that. I knew what I was doing," she said. Then, she stops walking for a moment and thinks about something else instead of last night.

Lagertha looks at the sky and wonders how much has changed and if it was all worth it or not. She was always a thinker and a believer in many things related to what has happened and what should happen.

Then she said to herself, "Well, that would've gone much better than what I have originally intended. But it has already happened. He and I are not cousins. We're just friends who have been lied to for our entire lives. If I tell my parents, what might happen to me?"

And so, Lagertha continues walking around for another mile and thinks about something else instead of a tragic occurrence that might befall her family.