Chapter 68

Meanwhile, Erica and Brant were still walking north in the night as the full moon is still upon them. The moon was always up in the sky to guide the way for those who step outside in the night. Brant and his mother did not hesitate to walk in the shadows to stay away from the demons before they could catch them. The young man kept his mother with him so they do not get lost in the dark forest. The forest of Midland has always been a pathway to many places, and many things some people would find disturbing.

It was during that time that Erica began getting exhausted and felt as if she could not move on any longer. She felt her head and started feeling warm inside, and she acted as if she was about to pass out. Brant had his left arm around her back and assisted her as they walked in the night. They had no carriage to take them somewhere and had nowhere else to go but to the next village. They believed that by going to the closest town, they would be given a room to rent in a tavern.

"Keep it together, mother. We are almost out of this forest. Don't pass out," Brant said.

"I'm fine, Brant. We need to stay away from the road. Someone... anyone would try to attack us," Erica said.

"If anyone ever lays a hand on you, I'll kill them myself. I'll make sure they writhe in agony for hurting the earl's wife," he said.

"You don't even have a sword, Brant. You don't even know how to use it. Just holding it with you doesn't immediately make you a knight or even the earl's successor."

"Of course. My father knows pretty much everything about wielding a sword and hunting down demons. He and Julius made sure that all the night creatures feared them. Everyone knows they have not given up at defending whatever's left of Midland away from the demons. But now that time has passed. Now... I guess the time has come for us to move on."

Erica's son knew that they might experience a more significant danger, the more they venture into the night. This is the first time in a while that Erica has set foot miles away from the palace. The time came for them to be on their way and move to another place to live until this nightmare is over. While doing that, Brant needed to learn the basics of becoming an earl just like his father, only if his father returned to his family. His mother walked beside him to stay next to him as he walked on the long road leading outside of the forest.

"Brant, I need to know the truth. Do you know exactly what you will do once we get to the next village?" Erica asked.

"Of course. I take you to a certain village, you go to an inn, find a room to rent, and I make sure you are protected under any circumstance. I'm pretty sure they know the two rulers of Loftain and might think of a way to let you and me in," Brant answered. Erica thought of something else to say as she remained with her son under the full moon.

She told her mind to stay awake as she walked with Brant; she had every reason to remain with her son and stay guarded. Being under protection was not enough for her because it appeared as if she lost everything at the hands of the night creatures. She could not fight or defend herself against the night because she was never interested in being around anything having to do with war. They both continued to be on the lookout for any strangers waiting to take them somewhere or any demon waiting to tear them apart. If there were any time that they would hear creatures shrieking, it would be the time for them to take cover.

Meanwhile, Julius and Harald were defending themselves against the masked servants who were sent to cut them down. One demon raised his sword against Julius, and he could parry and deflect every blow the servants threw at him. Julius instantly knew the directions the creatures would swing their swords and how they will use the blades against him. Like always, he never backed away from any duel and never ran away from anything that he was forced to do. Then, Julius used his greatsword and sliced down the masked servant in front of him, and he walked towards the next demon who was ready to fight him.

Harald also knew how to defend himself against the night creatures perfectly and was not afraid to cut every one of them down. He deflected their powerful blows simply because of how long and powerful their swords were; he backed away from the ones that would instantly kill him in a flash. He would do nothing to upset his brother as he fought for his region and his family against the hellish beasts. A few seconds later, Harald performs a fatal blow against the first out of three servants he was forced to face. He runs towards the other two demons after brutally killing one of them, and he was still not as fast as the demon hunter.

Julius fought with so much anger against every demon he ever came across, and he did not care how great the outcome would be. He never managed how much of a problem it might be, so long as he fights and defeats them all. Julius swings his sword, and one of them resists him and parry his attacks as their master is still on the ground. Julius knew they were not so much of a challenge as he expected; he thought they would be more powerful and even more potent than him. Then, Julius swings his greatsword and stabs the creature in the throat, and he watched as so much blood, and gore started leaving him.

As he was forced to fight one more creature, Harald had everything under control in himself as he fought against the other two masked servants. He may not have been as quick as Julius, but he could still swing his longsword fast enough to put his opponents on the ground. Harald swung his sword and gave his foe many scratches and scars on his chest as he defended himself. The demon he faced had many skills to use against him, but he rolled towards him and sliced the creature in the right leg. The beast was not so lucky as Harald lifted his longsword and delivered the finishing blow upon him.

Both Julius and Harald had one more masked servant to fight for each other, but they both understood the moves and skills that each of the demons used against humans. Julius dashes towards his last enemy as Harald walks to the other beast to put it out of its misery. They both fought relentlessly against their last opponents as Balder is getting ready to get himself up. The demon king appeared as if he was bleeding out and seemed as if he was killed off like a wimp. But every demon king could heal their wounds and get back the strength to fight against their enemies.

It was around this time that Balder held up his sword with one hand as Julius and Harald finished killing the remaining masked servants. So much blood was pouring down from his right arm, and he was filled with so much rage and fury against the two demon slayers. Julius and Harald strolled towards the demon king to finish him and end his reign upon the earth.

"You will all suffer for this. You'll follow that vermin you call a king in death. I will resurrect my followers. They will take your flesh, but I shall take your souls!" Balder shouted.

Then Julius walked up to him and spoke to him, saying, "Do it then. Kill us. You only suffered the loss of your arm. Summon up your familiars. Transform your body. Heal your severed arm and come at us!"

Balder was trying desperately to regenerate his right arm and try to fight against the earl and the demon hunter. Julius knew how quickly it takes for demon kings to grow back their dismembered body parts, so he gets behind Balder and starts choking him. The demon hunter uses his greatsword and makes the demon king's sword fall as he stared at Harald.

"Now, Harald! Do it! It must be you!" Julius shouted. Without hesitation, Harald dashes to Balder with his longsword pointing at the creature's chest, and Julius moves out of the way for Harald's sword to fully stab the demon king.