Chapter 52

The power of Mephiles was something Julius would need to assist him on his journey to become a king. Julius already knew that the goal would not be secure, and it would require lots of sacrifices in life. The time would soon come when he would have no choice but to pick a side and remain there. He also knew that so much blood would be shed on his journey; there would be many instances where he might die before fulfilling everything. Every day he wakes up and believes he might lose his humanity, but he always pushes through and never gives in.

Suddenly, a young woman opened the door of Harald's bedroom and walked inside as she kept her head down. Julius knew that it was Erica who stepped inside the room because he understood that nobody could ever enter the earl's chamber. Then Erica looked up and saw Julius standing before her and still appeared friendly and human. He had plenty of opportunities to push her aside and search the palace to confront Harald, but he would never do that to someone who is part of his family. Julius loved everyone in his family, and he would disown no one whom he has grown attached to.

"Julius. How did you get here?" Erica asked.

"I came here for my reasons. Where's Harald? What has been happening since I've been away?" Julius asked.

"I don't know what has happened, but you're a wanted man, Julius. Your knights and Balvu have turned their backs on you, and my husband demands an answer. His heart has always been heavy for you," she said.

"On behalf of him, I am still here to aid him against the demonic onslaught. I have sworn to him I will protect the people of Midland for as long as I live. Even though I never married you, my sword shall always be in your defense. I will have the blood of those who will be spiteful against you and Harald. If this land exiles me, so be it. But my honor and loyalty for Midland's kings shall never fade away."

"I am still honored to have you as a part of this palace. But I must know your reasons for being here. You must tell me before Harald walks in here. Right now, he is making sure that all the townspeople are being brought to safety. He could be back any minute by now."

Julius knew she was right because Harald was always a person who goes anywhere in a palace at an unexpected time. He was never late to anything nor early; he is still a man who arrives precisely when he needs to.

Then Julius answered and said to her, "A darkness is coming upon this city. And if it's true that the demons will come here, then I must join Harald in defeating all of my enemies. I don't know if he despises me and wishes to cast me out of this region. Only I can save you and your people from this invasion. Only I will have the last blow in killing the night creatures. None of them will be alive to tell their tales of driving the humans from this city."

"What are you going to do with me? They already believe that you have lifted your sword against the earl. They already think you will do something against Harald," Erica said.

"Let them have their thoughts. There's nothing I can do about that. If it's God's will to make this torment happen to me, I will not be afraid to make it run its course," Julius said.

"I don't know if I should keep putting my trust in Harald or if I should start trusting you. I've always known you for your strength and honor. You've earned the right to lead Midland's army. Everything about you has been told across many accounts and in taverns. And if the day comes when you are banished from this city, I'll always keep thinking about you. There won't ever be a day where I forget you."

"I also want to tell you another thing. You are a strong and noble lady, and I'll make sure you are still alive to share your life's story with your son and his children. There is one thing I will need you to do if all else fails. If the night creatures take over the city and kill everything, I need you to take your son and get as far away from the city as you can. You must be certain that you and Brant will survive the cold and live through the endless nights. I'm sorry, but you will have no choice but to do as I say if they win the great battle."

Then, Erica looked down at herself and saw the truth laid before her, and she needed to act upon it. There was no other way around when she heard the plea Julius gave her to ensure her survival. The same pain bears through Harald's heart and Julius's heart after the first sighting of the demons. It was an unforgettable day for all the people of Midland as they went to the last remaining city to live there. Then, Erica walks over to Julius and places her left hand on his chest, and she lays her head on his shoulder.

Julius knew the pain and sorrow she would go through as she leaves the city with Brant. It was nearly impossible to watch her home go to ruins and see it crumble to pieces. Then, he wraps his arms around Erica and hugs her as the evening is still upon them. Julius did not expect such a day as this to happen; he did not expect his opponents to find so much power to attack Midland's last city. He then places his hand on Erica's cheek and keeps it there to give her as much comfort as she needs.

Julius looked at her and said, "You must not be afraid, Erica. Loftain has always been a city worth fighting for. It has always been our home. Some say that it will fall someday and be given to our enemies. You and Harald are Midland's last hope. You must live to keep the promise made by King Lancelot."

"I won't fail. I will live on," Erica said. Julius gives a brief smile and bows his head before her as she stops hugging him, and he looks at the door and hears a bunch of noises.

He heard all kinds of sounds being made by the men and servants who were afraid of what might happen. Julius understood they were all heading towards the throne room, where Harald waits for all of them. He knew that the earl would deliver a quick speech to them and have half the army of knights get the people to safety. Julius closes his hand to make it a fist as he thought about the one whom he trusted to the bitter end.

"That doesn't sound good," Erica said.

"It isn't. It's the noise of the earl's servants walking to the throne room to hear Harald speak to them. If I don't go to him now, I'll never have the time to do it," Julius said.

"I must go with you. If such awful things are going to happen to you, I must be the one to be there with you. I know Harald will let you speak your mind once I'm there with him," she said.

"Very well. I'll be silent until I am called to speak my mind. Shall I follow you from behind, or will you follow me?"

"It doesn't matter to me. So long as we are in there, the better."

And so, Julius and Erica walked out of the earl's bedroom and made their way towards the throne room. Julius does not know who he can trust anymore, but he will have to make them listen to him, regardless of whether they like it. As they made their way downstairs, they could hear many men shouting about so many topics at one time. Julius was not afraid to say what needs to be reported to everyone before the night comes for them. They continued walking down and heard fearful men trying to keep it together and make the madness stop.

Julius could also hear men and knights arguing with Brant about the things which might come to pass; they also asserted if he is fit to lead the knights.

"Do you think we should put our trust in you? What do you know about battles and onslaughts that we don't?" A knight asked.

"Do not question my loyalty. If you have stayed behind Julius and lived to tell about it, the same shall be done with me!" Balvu shouted. Suddenly, Harald walked into the room behind a curtain and heard all the arguments that the knights made with their only commander.