Chapter 9

Lucy concluded that Julius wanted to get along with her and Lagertha before he goes hunting again. Being a demon hunter can be very lonely and difficult to get along with because of how much that person endures while slaying the night creatures. As always, the demons lived to bring fear and agony amongst all who would stand against them. Some people believed that the demons existed for a higher purpose, and the rest admitted that they existed to bring an end to humans. But during this time, Julius wanted to have a nice brief conversation with his daughter before they attended the feast.

"How long will you be gone?" Lucy asked.

"It shouldn't be too long. Just wanting to bond with her for a bit," Julius said. He meant it when he told her that; he had plenty of time to do whatever he wished before he is summoned again.

"It's alright. You can take her," she said. He then takes another sip of his wine and puts his cloak on his body, and he looks outside at the clouds.

The day was already in the afternoon, but he was feeling well-rested and had plenty of reason not to go back to the city. The knights knew that he had a family, and they had nobody to go to because they all left their families to defend the city of Loftain against the demons. Then Julius puts on his boots and walks towards Lagertha's bedroom to ask her if she wants to walk with him. For a moment, he wanted to let his daughter know that he cares about her and would do anything for her. He then knocks on her door and waits for her to answer it; he stood there for about ten seconds before he could hear a single sound from Lagertha.

"What?" She asked.

"Hey, Lagertha. Do you want to go on a hike?" Julius asked. It took a long while for her to give him an answer because she did not know how much she can trust him and if he does nothing dumb.

"A hike?" Lagertha asked.

"Yeah, that way you and I can get out of the house and walk together," he answered.

"So, how long are we going to be gone?" She asked.

"I don't know. For about an hour or two. Does that sound fair?"

"Oh. Well... yeah, I can come."

Then Julius walks away from her door and waits for Lagertha to get herself ready to walk with him. She did not know why he wanted to take her outside to go hiking, but she assumed it was for something very important. Then, she walks out of her room and has her boots on, and she walks towards her mother to say goodbye. She was wearing a short-sleeve shirt and black pants to wear for walking outside in the sun. It was something that she usually wore if she wanted to go places and have a good time outside of her home.

"Hey, I'm leaving now," Lagertha said.

"Be careful out there," Lucy said.

"I will."

"Good. Make sure you stay with your father."

Then, Lagertha walks away from her mother and goes to her father as he has already opened the front door. She is the first one to get out of the house, and Julius closes the door behind him. Then, she started following her father down the long road, and she kept looking at him for a minute. She was seeing a bunch of different things from him that her mother could not see. Then Julius saw the clouds in the sky and saw that they seemed to get even smaller.

"Father, what are we doing?" Lagertha asked.

"We're taking a nice brief walk. Who knows? It could be our last," he answered.

"Our last walk? Why do you say that?" She asked.

"From what I understand, I've been a leader of a hundred eligible knights who will defend the city with all of their lives. I've never missed a single day when I have received news about my brother. I'm sure you already know this, but my brother has been a leader for about sixteen years. During those years, we have sworn to protect our people from the demons, the creatures of the night. I have never failed to do my brother a favor. It's exactly why he trusts me amongst all of his knights. For all of those times I spent fighting the night creatures, I hear them tempt me."

"What on earth are you on about? Why do you say such things?"

"I'm letting you know instead of your mother because I don't want it to seem as if she disowns me. I can't let her suffer, nor you. And I'm wanting you to know that happens to me. You must take whatever seems valuable and leave. As you leave my home, you will discover a different path in your life. In that new life, you must be able to remain in that path and never try to run away from it."

Julius had a pretty poetic mind for discussing things with his family, and he always knew what he wanted to say. He wanted to get away from his house as far as he could to tell the news to his daughter. He checked all of his surroundings and made sure there was nobody around to bother him with his daughter.

"Lagertha, there's something that I've been wanting to ask you ever since I came home," Julius said.

"What is it?" She asked.

Then he answered and said to her, "In Loftain, there is a feast that happens once every year to remember my father. My father's name is Lancelot, the king of Midland. He was once a great and mighty ruler who would rule above all others. Tomorrow is a day remembered by all Midlanders because the king fought back against the demons who came and brought agony to all humanity. My father stood against them and fought valiantly to the very end. It's an important day because he gave his life to make sure his people are protected against the night creatures."

"What happened after that?"

"Before my father died, he gave the title of the ruler to his oldest son... my brother. He was also going to give me the honor and privilege to be a general of Midland's knights. My brother and I were strong enough to be leaders because we held our swords to our heart's content and swore our loyalty to Lancelot. He saw a glorious future for the two of us and promised us that one day, we would have to stand together and defend the people of Midland against our enemies. In his name, we raise our swords into battle and fight to the death against all of those who would make slaves of us. But, that's not why I've brought you along with me."

"Okay. Do you mind telling me why I'm out here with you?"

"Since the feast is tomorrow, do you want to come with me? Do you want to know how things are done around here? Get a first glance at what you can do once you live by yourself?"

The offer by Julius seemed tempting and amazing to hear from her father; she was quite hesitant about giving him an answer. Lagertha never thought that she would see the day where Julius would make such a difficult provocation. There comes a time when even those who have never left their home can see what the world looks like. She always wanted to explore the earth and walk on its many roads and pathways. At this moment, her father was giving her the perfect opportunity to live life to the fullest and know what fate has in store for her.

"Are you sure about this?" Lagertha asked.

"Well, your mother already agreed on it. And it would be great if you met your uncle after so long," Julius said. If she said no, her mother would be displeased, and her uncle would feel underwhelmed because she refused to show up.

"Of course. I'll come," she said.

"That's great," he said. Then, he felt the wind blow around him and Lagertha as they were walking with each other.

He was already feeling very satisfied after hearing that his daughter would come with him to the celebration. While feeling the intense wind, he thought of one last thing to say to Lagertha.

Then Julius said to her, "Fire and wind come from the sky and the gods of the sky. The Lord is your god. Once, he sent his son to the earth because he loved the world. His son was raised from the dead and ascended back to Heaven. But that's not all. Once, giants lived on the earth and many titans existed along with them."