Chapter 11: Process

Today was a great day for both Evan and Jessica as they sat in the adoption agency, holding onto each other's hands as Jessica was nervous to be here again.

"Baby?"

"Yeah?"

"Are you okay?"

"It feels like yesterday that I was just in here." Jessica said

"But this time, we get to keep him or her until they grow up."

"So you still want to adopt twins?"

"Yeah." Evan said with a smile on his face.

"I love you!"

"I love you more!" Evan leaned over and kissed her.

...

The adoption agency lady came in and sat down, making Jessica nervous as Evan caressed her leg as it bounced up and down.

"Ms. Lange, we have some really good news."

"You told me over the phone last week."

"Well, we discussed the idea of you both adopting both a little boy and a little girl. Am I correct?"

"Yes!" They both said

"Well, I looked through a file of documents and you both are going to be pleased with my decision."

"A little boy and a little girl, right?"

"Yes ma'am."

"Are they siblings?"

"Half brother and sister."

"Same mother, but different dads."

"Yes. The mother had her custody terminated due to her failing to appear in court."

"Does the father of both of them know about the children or is they involved?"

"They were until the mother had both the children swabbed for paternity tests."

"They weren't happy, I take it?"

"That's correct."

"What are their names or is that confidential?"

"The little boy's name is Grayson and the little girl's name is Paisley."

"Can we see photos of them?" Evan asked as he held onto Jessica's hand.

"Sure, let me pull out their file."

"A file?"

"All the kids that come through our agency get entered into our database."

"Okay." It did not sit well with Jessica at all.

...

An hour went by and no news of the children they wanted to hear about had been discussed with them yet.

"What if we're not good enough?" Jessica asked him.

"We are baby and just try to relax." Evan said.

"It's been an hour! I want to see my kids!" Jessica said on the verge of tears as she looked out the big window behind the social worker's desk.

She entered the room again with a file on hand for them to look at.

"Here is Grayson and Paisley's file. After today, we can go through the adoption process of getting everything finalized."

"What about a court date?" Jessica asked as she looked at the sweet little faces of the children in the photos of who'd soon be their children.