2. The Silly Nickname

I wait for Layla to pick District 3's boy tribute. She sticks her hand in the bowl, and pulls a paper out.

"Adam Parker," she reads.

Adam Parker. I don't know much about Adam Parker. I've seen him around, but I haven't talked to him or anything.

I scan the crowd, looking for Adam. I finally see him. He was toward the front of the crowd, so it's not long before he's standing next to me. I sneak a peek at him out of the corner of my eye.

He's a couple inches taller than me, with blond hair (also like me) and blue eyes. He stands there looking proud and strong, but I notice that his fingers are shaking slightly. Scared.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I present the tributes of District 3: Cynthia Jones and Adam Parker!" Layla squeaks into the microphone.

The Peacekeepers lead us down the steps and down the square to the Justice Hall. Then they tell us to get into the elevator. We get in, along with three other Peacekeepers. 

"You're Cynthia Jones," Adam says.

"No, they said the wrong name. My name's actually Mike." I say back sarcastically. 

"Ha-ha, very funny." He replies, smiling.

"Yes, I'm Cynthia Jones. But I'd prefer it if you just called me C."

"Just C? Like the letter?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"Because I hate the name Cynthia."

"But I hate just calling you a letter."

"Too bad."

"What if I called you Cynth? Or Thia? Or Tia?"

"Whatever. Call me Cynth if you can't call me C."

"Okay, Cynth." 

Just then the elevator stops. "Get out." one of the Peacekeepers says.

We're in a hallway. A really long hallway. A hallway I would definitely get lost in, because it has so many doors and intersections.

"Jones, third door on the left. Parker, first door on the right." a Peacekeeper says.

"See you later, Cynth." Adam says, as he enters his room. I don't say anything back. I just smile at the silly nickname.