24. Ten Faces

In the sky tonight are ten faces: the District One girl tribute (I recognize her as the girl Rikki drove her sword into), District Four boy tribute, the girl I killed from Seven, both from District Eight, the boy from District Nine, the girl from District Ten, the girl from Eleven, and both from Twelve.

This surprises me, because there's usually at least eleven tributes in the sky the first night (but most of the time it's twelve). I don't think I've seen a Games where there fourteen tributes left standing on the first night. I'm sure the number will diminish soon, though. And hopefully I'm not one of them.

After we ran from the spot where I killed the girl from Seven, we stumbled upon this little section of the forest. There are fallen trees everywhere, their trucks offering great little hideouts. We each have our own, but we stayed out in the open to see who died.

"I'll take first watch." I offer.

"Okay, I'll take second." Adam says.

"Then I guess I'll take the third." Rikki says with a shrug, pulling her sleeping bag out of her backpack.

"Night." I tell them as they get settled in their little shelters.

"Night." They both repeat.

I get up and walk over to where my shelter is, pulling out my sleeping bag. I throw it on the ground in front of the tree trunk, and I get inside. I'm leaning against the trunk in a very comfortable position, though not too comfortable. I won't be falling asleep on my watch.

I gaze around the forest, listening for the little things, like the slightest rustle in the leaves or the sound of a twig cracking. No such sound comes, however, but I still listen for them.

I almost jump out of my skin when I think I see red hair over by a bush, but it's just my imagination. I even get up and walk over to the bush to be sure, and there's no one there. I'm just paranoid.

When I wake up Adam for his watch, I'm relieved but scared. I can finally get some sleep and not worry about thinking I'm seeing her again. She's dead, she's gone, you killed her, runs through my head. The first part is reassuring, but the last...

As I lay down in my sleeping bag and close my eyes, I think. I came into this arena with no regrets... If I keep going on like this, I'll be leaving it with a lot.