32. Paranoia

As soon as the sun rises, I shake Adam awake. "Ugh." He grunts, sitting up without much protest. He wipes his blond hair out of his eyes, and glances at the rising sun. "Really?" He hisses. "Sunrise?"

"Would you rather be murdered?" I reply as I roll up my sleeping bag.

"Possibly." I hear him mutter as he pulls his backpack on.

"Stop being a jackass." I snap. "It's this or die. Stay here if you want." I gesture to the tree branches.

Adam sighs, crossing his arms. "You climb down first."

        I scale the tree with ease. But, since the sun is rising, I have to be silent and slow as I descend. As I slowly climb down the branches I pray that no tribute will notice me.                  

        When I finally get to the ground, I breath a quiet sigh of relief. Then, I eye the area around me. I sense nor see any other tributes,so I nod to Adam. He nods back, and begins his slow climb down the trunk.

        As he climbs, I double check the area. Thankfully it's just us, for now. It's still too risky to stay here now that we're in the final four. We have to keep moving.

Adam finally hits the ground with a quiet thud. He jumped the last ten feet. "That was a little stupid, don't you think?" I whisper as he brushes himself off. "You could've broken your ankle."

"Well, I didn't." He points out. "Let's go. I'm starting to get paranoid."

He starts walking forward, and I have no choice but to follow him. "Your paranoia is only going to get worse as we get closer and closer to winning." I comment.

"Great. Fabulous. Can't wait." He whispers back sarcastically. 

"Please," I beg, "stop being a jackass."

"You and I both know that's not possible."

        I come up with a great clever response, but I keep it to myself. Instead I do the wise thing, and watch the trees. Every once and a while I think I see movement in them, but it turns out to be my paranoia every time we stop and check. So, after a while we stop checking on my suspicions. I still notice it, but I keep it to myself.

        Big mistake.