9. Expect the Unexpected

"To forget." he says simply.

Oh my, I'd love to forget. I'm not even in the arena yet and I want to forget it all.

"That sounds like a good idea." I reply.

Suddenly, Layla opens the door, scaring me. "We're almost there. You guys need to change." She says.

"Okay." I reply, hopping off the couch.

I go back to my room, and search through the drawers again. I need to wear something fancy. Probably a dress again. Ugh. I hate dresses. I search for about five minutes until I find something I like, and then I throw it on. [polyvore]

As soon as I'm done getting dressed, someone knocks on my bedroom door. "Come in." I say as I walk to the door.

It's Layla, and she's holding a box. "What's that?" I ask her, pointing at the box.

"I forgot to give this to you earlier... Your mom gave it to me before we left. She told me to give it to you as a token." she holds out the box to me, and I take it.

The cover is made out of black velvet. Another beautiful fabric. Where did my mother get this? I open the lid, and inside is a necklace. It has a black rose outlined in silver on it. It's beautiful. Where did my mother get this?

Layla takes it out of the box and puts it around my neck for me. "Where did she get this?" I ask her, holding the rose in my hand.

"I think it's a family heirloom." Layla replies, "It's beautiful, isn't it?"

"Yes, very." I didn't think I would have a token. I didn't really have anything special enough to bring with me into the arena, until now.

"Come on C, let's go to the living room." Layla says, grabbing my arm. I let her lead me to the living room.

Everyone else is already there, so I feel late. Layla goes and sits in one of the chairs, while I go stand at the window. Beetee and Wiress are sitting together on the loveseat, and Adam is sitting in another one of the chairs. When he sees me standing alone at the window, he gets up and joins me. We watch the last views of beautiful mountains before we enter the dark tunnel. 

"Are you nervous?" Adam asks me.

"No. Are you?"

"A little. Why aren't you nervous?"

"Because I know what's going to happen. I know what to expect."

"Not necessarily," he replies, "something could surprise you."

"True, but I still know what's going to happen."

"So, in other words, you're only going to freak out when something unexpected happens."

"I guess." I say, shrugging.

"Expect the unexpected. That's my motto." Adam replies, smiling at me.

Then, I see the light at the end of the tunnel getting brighter, closer. "We're almost there." I tell him.

"Are ya ready to expect the unexpected, Cynth? Because that's what these Games are all about." He asks me as we catch our first view of the Capitol.