23. Guilt

"RUN!" Adam yells, and he starts to run forward. I yank him back by his jacket sleeve, and it's lucky I did. A knife hits a tree where he was standing before.

"Show yourself, coward!" I yell to the bushes,turning around and drawing a knife from my belt. A second later knife comes flying toward my chest, and I take a step to the right, dragging Adam with me. It's a miss. "Go stand somewhere else," I hiss in his ear, "so I don't have to save your ass again."

He obeys, walking to the spot he was standing in before he tried to run. A knife flies toward his chest as he walks over there, but it misses by an inch. He walks a little faster to his spot after that.

I stare at the bushes,trying to see exactly where the knife came from. They're very thick, with no holes in them. Except for one, where the tribute must've been sending the knives out of. I smile, throwing my knife with a casual flick of my wrist. I watch as it flies through the air, entering the hole. There's a scream, and then the cannon goes off.

"You-you just-" Rikki says, pointing at the bushes.

"Yep." I confirm, the smile disappearing from my face. I just killed someone.

Adam starts to walk over to the bushes, but I yell, "Stop! There could be someone else in there. Let me be sure..." Adam stops walking.

"Let me do it." Rikki offers. She walks slowly to the bushes, holding her sword out in front of her. When she gets to the bush she lowers her sword, a relieved look on her face. "We're good." She says, and we walk over to her.

Lying on the ground behind the bush is the District Seven girl tribute. My knife is impaled in her chest, blood surrounding the wound.Even the tips of her long, curly red hair is tinted darker with blood. There's a shocked look on her small face, and I almost throw up when I realize that I just killed a 12 year-old. I feel even guiltier when I take my knife out of her chest, cleaning it on the ground. Then I take her knife belt, though it only has a couple of knives left in it.

I stand up and gather the other knives she threw, putting them back in her belt, which is now mine. When all the knives are back in place I slip the knife belt into my backpack with the other extra one. "Let's move on." I suggest, staring at the ground.

"Okay." Rikki says, and we venture deeper into the forest.