Chapter 13

Maya

3 months later...

It was a rough year, very fucking rough if I might add. Aaron was traveling around the world making it safer, while I attended college. Jefferson State was very nice, and I was able to quickly make friends. The on-campus dorms were surrounding the quad of the campus, of which I lived on the third floor of the hall closest to the library. I'd often find myself spending late nights there studying or catching up on news. My roommate, Rose, would come wake me up and take me back to the dorm.

Our rooms were set up similar to an apartment, a living area with two bedrooms on the right. Our bathroom was next to the kitchen, and we had two couches in the living room that we sometimes slept on. I would fall asleep on the couches, staying up late in the morning for Aaron to call me. It's been like this since he had left for Deltora, and Rose had been there for me through all of it.

I wish I could hear his voice, but I haven't heard from him since he left. The first week was the hardest, especially when I would stay up all night waiting for him. He never called, and Rose would always console me as I cried on her shoulder. I felt alone, even though I had really great friends to help me out whenever I needed them. Rose and my other friends had kidnapped me one night, taking me on a road trip during our break. It was a nice distraction and much appreciated. However, I went back to my old state when I was watching the news in Ohio and there was a report of a warehouse explosion in Deltora.

I knew Aaron was there, because I barely saw him on the camera footage leading up to the explosion. After it seemed like he was being dragged out by someone, I got worried. I remember calling Selena and asking her if Aaron is alright and why he isn't talking to me. She seemed just as surprised as I was when I told her this, but sadly she had no answers that would make me feel any better. Something was going on, and I wished someone would tell me what the hell it is.

After the break, I resumed school as usual and hung out with my friends. Claire and Liam would come and visit me on weekends, alleviating the pain in my heart. I always hated to see them leave, but Claire told me she's a phone call away. Both of them love me and I love them, but our group was missing two people. Steph was busy with medical school, and Aaron was gone. None of us have heard from him, and it was taking its toll on Claire too. Liam knew that he'd hear from him eventually, but we all could tell it was eating him up as well.

I was sitting in the quad about to start my sophomore year, resting against a tree with my friends around me. Rose was talking to her boyfriend James about the school year and what her hopes were. My other friend Serena was working on her laptop on a project for her engineering class that needed to be done before the class had its first day. I looked around my group and saw how all of us had grown since freshman year.

Rose had her red hair tied in a ponytail, a t-shirt and jeans clinging to her. She often wore vans because she worked at the store off campus so she got discounts. Her boyfriend James reminded me of Scott a bit, wearing a black long sleeve t-shirt and black jeans. His brown hair was cut shorter than it was last year. Serena had her long black hair in a braid, and mainly wore hoodies and jeans. None of us know how she's not dying in the heat, but she's the craziest out of all of us.

As for myself, I changed the most. My hair was cut shorter, currently resting just above my shoulders. I was now seen wearing a white tank-top, same jeans and boots, and I instead wore the sleeves that Selena had given me for my 18th birthday. She said that they form some kind of suit that allows me to move freely and use my power to its full extent. I haven't tested it out yet, because I was waiting for Aaron to return so I could work with him on it.

"Maya!" Rose said, snapping me out of the trance I was in. I looked at her and she could tell something was up with me. "Are you thinking about him again?" All of my friends have been telling me that I should stop thinking about him, but I love him and just can't forget about him. "Uh oh, Brad alert. Looks like he's tryna hit on you again." Rose sighed and looked at the approaching person. "Will he ever learn?"