Atsuko Sakamoto

Chapter 8

The sun began to rise, the time written on the clock in Atsuko’s room was 5:15am. Her alarm was supposed to ring in 30 minutes, but she was already wide awake.

She had forgotten to close her curtains on the window right next to her bed the night before.

She woke up staring at the rose and red colored sky, it sure was a beautiful sight to see but she couldn’t fully admire it as the sun shined directly into her eyes.

She lightly rubbed her eyes and sat up in her bed. She breathed out for a few seconds looking at her new hometown view, than she closed her eyes and breathed out all the air within her lungs.

She sat as still as humanly possible and than proceeded to breathe back in. She sat on her bed meditating for about ten minutes, once she felt at ease and in complete control of herself, she finally unfolded her legs and stood out of bed.

But she wasn’t on her feet for long as she began to stretch her arms, than her torso and eventually her legs, stretching on the floor.

It was an old habit she had never been able to bring herself to quit. Ever since she was very little, the second she moved in with her grandmother she had danced, her grandmother thought it could help her feel more at ease with herself and give her a hobby to enjoy.

An obligation with dancing was stretching daily, she’d grown so used to getting up every morning and stretching that even after quitting dance she continued. Old habits die hard, as one would say.

Finally, once she was done she would start to get officially ready. She’d start of by picking her uniform for the day and packing her bag.

Inside she’d place her books, her personnel notepad, headphones, the book she was currently reading and a water bottle.

By this time she would have made enough noise to wake up Orange, her puppy. Orange was a gift from her grandmother from when they moved back to Japan a couple of months ago.

Her grandmother had hoped the small red sesame Shiba inu would keep her company, make her feel less alone and more secure.

Atsuko would give him a few pats on the head before walking towards the bathroom, she’d quickly get dressed, put on some blush and mascara and do her hair. She’d either tie them into double buns or braids it depended on her mood.

The reason she never left her hair down was because it was far to long, she’d always had it long and she was sure her grandmother wouldn't agree if she wished to cut it, deep down the two both knew it was because with shorter hair she'd look like her mother. So Atsuko had let her hair grow all the way down to her hips, scissors near her head at this point was nearly a phobia for her grandmother, maybe even for Atsuko.

“Alright Orange!” She’d finally call out to her puppy once she had finished getting ready in the bathroom, “breakfast time,” The small ball of fur would charge down the stairs and into the kitchen with Atsuko following close behind. She’d give him his breakfast first and than make something for herself.

Atsuko would always be alone in the mornings, actually for a matter of fact she’d almost always be alone when she was at home.

Her grandmother was a rather busy lady despite her age. She was still a working hero and had joined the heroes headquarters when her daughter was imprisoned.

Mori participated in a lot of meetings and important events, she says it’s because she wants to feel useful but Atsuko knows that it’s to try and regain the public’s trust for her, for when Atsuko finally becomes a Hero herself.