Meeting Midoriya

Chapter 9

Students were packing there bags and leaving their classrooms, school had ended for the day. As Atsuko stood up to leave her desk Midoriya grabbed her sleeve, “I have to stay back I’m on cleaning duty today, where do you want to meet?”

Atsuko thought for a second and than suggested the forest, if she was going to have to wait for him she’d prefer to wait alone.

She made her way out to the back of the school and sat down under a tree, the sun was rather bright and she didn’t need to overheat by sitting under it, so she opted for some shade.

She pulled out her headphones and her notepad and scribbled away on the pages of her book. She hummed along to the melodies of her favorite songs and forgot about time. Before she knew it a figure stood in front of her waving down gently as to catch her attention.

“Oh Midoriya,” she said as she finally looked up from her notepad, “I didn’t think you’d be done so fast,”

“it’s been 30 minutes though, I was kind of worried you’d leave,”

“30 minutes, I lost track of time apparently, well, not really that important,”

Midoriya tried to look down in the pages of her notepad but she slammed it shut before he could catch a glimpse, “What were you working on?”

“Nothing,” she mumble, “Nothing of importance that is,”

“oh, well,” Midoriya lightly scratched the back of his head, “What exactly did you want to talk about? I got kind of worried when you asked me to talk this morning, considering you don’t normally interact with us,”

“It’s All Might, he told me I needed to be more social, especially with you,”

“Wha- why me?”

“Bonds help when working together, that’s what he said,”

“Oh,” There was an awkward silence, Midoriya didn’t know what to say and clearly Atsuko was not familiar with this, “Is there something you want to know about me? You can ask away it’s not a problem,” Midoriya smiled,

“Ok, let’s just start with this, Why to you call the blond baka Kacchan?”

“Oh, well he’s my friend we’ve known each other since we were really young,”

“Do friends normally yell at each other all the time and insult you? Because he calls you Deku and if I’m not mistaken that’s an insult,”

“Well, we have a complicated relationship, mhm, what about you? Do you have friends,”

“I did, before,” she hesitated to finish her sentence, “Before my Quirk, they stopped talking to me when they realized I was like my parents. After that I didn’t try making friends again it was too hard, it’s difficult to have friends when you can’t show emotion,”

“About that,” Midoriya begun, “I don’t exactly get what you mean by that?”

“It’s part of my Quirk, I can’t express any strong emotions, it weakens the control I have over my consciousness and makes me vulnerable,”

“vulnerable how?”

“anyone I’ve ever possessed before could reenter, in other words I could lose control over my mind, be possessed,”

“That sounds terrifying,”

“I’m not gonna lie, it is, it’s happened before,” Atsuko sighed lightly, “and you?” she changed the subject, “How’s your Quirk work?”

“I’m sure you already know,”

“I know how it worked for All Might, but the one for all varies for each person no? All Might never broke his bones, yet you do,”

“Thanks for the reminder,” Midoriya mumbled under his breath, “I’m not really sure, I just, I’m not able to control it, I can use it but my body isn’t built for it,”

“How much force do you use?”

“What?”

“When you use it, do you not try to regulate the amount you’re using?”

“I’m not sure I understand,”

Atsuko put her notepad back into her bag and stood up from the ground. She looked up at the trees and raised her left hand and suddenly a leaf came falling down. “Look at it like this,” She placed the leaf on the ground, “This leaf is extremely light, so,” she moved a single finger in an upwards movement and the leaf lifted of the ground, “I don’t need to use much pressure to lift it,” she slowly lowered the leaf back onto the ground, “if I lift it using the right amount of pressure it will lift, but if I tried lifting it as if it weighed the same amount as a car did,” she raised her hand up once again though this time the leaf didn’t lift delicately into the air, instead it ripped into pieces the second it raised above the ground, “than it would explode, kind of like your bones do,”

“Wonderful,” Midoriya looked at the leaf in horror as he visualized his arms instead,

“what I’m trying to say is if you use to much pressure at once on something so small of course it’s not going to be able to resist. Your body hasn’t ever experienced so much force at once it needs time to get used to it, than gradually you can increase that force but you need to start of small,”

Midoriya frowned as he continued to look at the ripped leaf on the ground, “Oi!” Atsuko called out trying to get his attention but he didn’t react, than a stack of leaves came falling down onto Midoriya, “What the!” he shouted as he tried to wave to leaves away and out of his hair.

“I’m not speaking to the grass Midoriya!” Atsuko scoffed, she kind of sounds like Bakugou when she’s angry, Midoriya thought to himself,

“I’m sorry,” he apologized, “I’m very grateful for your help really,”

Her eyes slightly opened and her eyebrows raised as she stood still a little in shook, had she not expected the compliment?

“It’s fine,” she picked up her bag off of the ground and walked up closer to Midoriya, “just don’t let my advice go to waste,” she lightly smiled as she raised her hand to Midoriya’s hair and pulled out another leaf, “Sorry for throwing leaves on you,”

“Oh no,” he touched his hair were her hand had just been, “It’s fine,”.

Atsuko waved goodbye at Midoriya “See you Monday, have a good weekend!” Midoriya called out as she begun to walk away.