1.1 - leather jacket

It had been quiet all summer, everyone had went home to their families or travelled around the country. I went home for two weeks, travelled for two more before coming back here. I wasn't interested in being home the full summer holiday. Being home made me feel so small, so invisible that I'd rather be in the empty sorority house. Every now and then another girl would swing by to pick something up or crash here for the night after a party.

But the silence quickly faded two days before the semester started again. The house filled with girls again and there was never really a moment of silence. Everyone was unpacking and catching up, I just observed the other girls. On some days I wish I never joined the house, that I accepted the apartment my dad got me instead of living in a house with 9 other girls. But on most days I enjoy the madness and chaos. As lame as it sounds, they are my sisters and I didn't have to think twice to stay another year.

"Hey Lia" Steph said as she stopped by my bedroom door. "I haven't even been able to talk to you yet with all the unpacking stress." She said with a chuckle while she walked over to me. I placed my book upside down on the table beside me before getting on my feet to hug her.

"I haven't talked to many girls yet, everyone is just so stressed so I've been reading until the madness calms down again." I said and she let out another chuckle before picking up my book to look at the title.

"I often wonder what you're doing here. You could have had a luxurious apartment but chose to be in a house with 9 other girls in a small room." She turned the book around to read the short description next without looking at me. "You're the smartest one here and I know you also love a good party but I didn't picture you as the girl who wanted to be in a sorority when we first met."

"I like it here, I would have left if I didn't." I replied and she looked at me but she didn't understand. Not a lot of people understood, they just accepted it and I think that's enough. "Did you enjoy your time at home?"

"Yeah it was great! I went to Florida for a week with my family and did a road trip with some old friends too so I had a good time. I'm already missing them." She said so happily, "And you? I heard you spend most your time here?"

"I did go home for two weeks but my mom was on a business trip and my dad was more in the office than home so I packed my bags again and travelled around for a while before coming back here. It was nice to just spend some time on my own here."

"I'm glad you still had a nice summer break." She replied with a bright, honest smile. She was one of my favourites here, always happy but also down to earth. Her eyes quickly darted to the hallway when Emily walked past. "I still haven't spoken to Emily so I'll see you at dinner."

"I'll see you later." I said to her before she ran after Emily. I sat back down and picked up my book again. I found it easy to get lost in a book, even with the madness going on in the rest of the house.

—