Chapter Eight: Falling Stars

Bella walked back inside to the Cullen house with a blank expression. She had no idea what to do with her situation. She was like a best-selling author with writer's block. Edward turned around, smelling her scent. His lips turned up into a crooked smile.

Just seeing Bella made him happy. But something was wrong. She was quiet and she wasn't smiling back. Edward's smile turned upside down. She was unhappy. Bella walked up to him. Edward grabbed Bella's wrist gently and pulled her away from his family.

"Bella?" Edward asked concerned. why was she upset? Bella didn't respond. Edward lifted her head up with his hand. His thumb brushed up against her cheekbone.

"Bella?" he asked once more. Bella sighed and looked up into his golden eyes. She could see her reflection in his eyes. A deceiving reflection. One who wanted to run and hide from everything. But she couldn't risk it. Toby would find her and rip her to shreds. He would eliminate the Cullens as well.

"You are one hard book to read," Edward mumbled. Bella smiled.

"My father said the exact opposite. He said I was a very easy person to read," Bella commented. Edward shook his head.

"I completely disagree." he said with a chuckle. Bella placed her hands on his chest and curled them into fists. They itched to touch Edward. Bella turned her head and looked and Renesmee. She was playing a board game with the werewolf, Emmett and Alice.

"Are you thirsty, Bella?" Edward whispered.

The thirst hit her like a train. It had been awhile since she had hunted. The fire in her throat crawled up her throat, the flames dancing. Bella placed a hand on her throat and took a breath, trying to calm the fire.

"C'mon," Edward said. Edward smiled and took Bella's hand, placing it in his own. They walked out the door and into the woods.

"You're okay with my eating habits?" Bella asked out of nowhere.

Edward sighed. "To be honest Bella, I'm just not used to it."

A thought popped into Bella's mind. "I-I want to try and hunt an animal," Bella admitted quietly.

Edward looked at her with disbelief. "Is that wrong that I want to try?" Bella said, clenching her fists.

"Of course not, love," Edward said. Did he just call her love? Bella swore she felt her dead heart beat. "I'll teach you," he whispered in Bella's ear, his lips grazing the corner of her ear.

Bella opened her eyes to see he was gone. Bella giggled, and inhaled his scent. He smelt like leather and pine . She raced after him and stopped where the trail ended. Where was he? Bella looked up and saw him sitting in a tree. Bella jumped and pulled herself up to where he sat at the top of the tree.

"The view is...beautiful," Bella breathed. She could see all of the forest. She felt an arm wrap around her waist.

"Not as beautiful as you," Edward mumbled. He pushed the hair away from her neck and planted gentle kisses there.

"Cheesy much?" Bella teased, making Edward chuckle against her neck.

Bella tilted her head slightly. Bella grabbed Edward by the collar of his white button up shirt and crashed her lips against his. He breathed against her lips, sending a cool, fresh sensation into her body. She shivered as he ran his hand up her back, his fingers dancing on her spine. Bella let go of his shirt collar and brought them up to his copper hair. She pulled his hair gently, kissing him with passion. Bella pulled her lips away from his slowly.

"You're distracting me from hunting," Bella whispered with a smirk.

"Can't hunting wait?" Edward murmured. Bella shook her head, with a giggle.

Edward smiled. Bella jumped down from the tree, landing of her toes. Edward wasn't far behind her. He wrapped his arm around her waist and held her close.

"What do you smell?" He breathed.

Bella inhaled. She could smell a human; unfortunately she wasn't hunting it right now. she inhaled again, smelling warm blood rushing through an animal's body. She could hear it's heartbeat. Bella closed her eyes and sniffed again. It was a deer.

She slid out of Edward's arms and rushed towards the scent. Snow crushed under her boots as she ran. She could feel Edward right behind her. Bella stopped, seeing the animal only 10 feet away. A growl escaped Bella's lips as she sunk into a crouch. The deer was scavenging for food in the snow.

"Go ahead," Edward whispered quietly, so the deer wouldn't move.

Bella lunged, grabbing the deer and rolling with it. The deer yelped and scrambled to get away. Bella grabbed the deer necks and felt venom in her mouth. Venom had a very foul taste. Bella tilted her head back and sunk her teeth into the deer's neck. The deer's eyes rolled backwards and it breathed it's last breath. Bella wiped her mouth and unattached herself from the deer.

"Not bad for a first try," Edward said with a smile.

"We should head back," Bella said. Edward nodded in agreement.

They were almost home when Bella asked Edward something.

"Who are the Volturi?" Bella asked.

Edward sighed. "I guess you heard me talking." Bella nodded her head. "The Volturi are basically the government for vampires. Their three leaders, Aro, Caius and Marcus enforce laws for us vampires." Edward clenched his fist. "The day after Renesmee was born, Jacob took her to the woods. Some nomad vampire saw Renesmee and guessed she was an immortal child." Bella was just about to ask what that was when he answered.

"An immortal child is a human who was changed at a very young age. They exhibit childish behaviours such as tantrums. In one of their tantrums, they killed dozens of people, maybe even hundreds. The volturi outlawed immortal children for they could not control themselves and keep our secret." Edward took an unneeded breath and continued. "This nomad has gone to the volturi, thinking Renesmee was an immortal child. To sum it up, the volturi are coming to destroy my family."

"Oh, Edward." Bella said. "I will do anything in my hands to protect you and your family."

'At least I think I will'

~ ~ ~

Later that day, Bella was sitting on the ground, playing with Renesmee. They were playing Jenga. Renesmee stuck out her tongue, concentrating and trying not to make the tower fall. Bella was just about to go when someone tapped her on the shoulder. Bella turned her head.

"Mind if we talk outside, Bella?" Eleazar asked.

"Of course not," Bella replied, "I'll be right back Renesmee."

Bella stood up and followed Eleazar into the snow.

"Is something wrong?" Bella asked.

"No, no. I just wanted to inform you about something. I wasn't sure at first, but now I know," Eleazar said.

"And that is..?"

"Well you see Bella, I have a gift. I can sense another vampire's gift. You are a shield, Bella."

Sorry for the short chapter, filler and cliff hanger! I guarantee the next chapter will be longer and action packed. How do you guys like it so far?

Anyways,

Read

Vote

&

Comment!

Sincerely, Burningbrightfire