Chapter Four

I pulled into the parking lot of the Griffith Observatory. It was the one place we both loved to hang out. Brian and I often found ourselves there when one of us was in a bad mood or upset. Having him meet me there just made sense for a discussion of this magnitude. He was already at our spot on the second floor when I got there. I walked over to him and in the pit of my stomach, knew this would be the end of us.

"Thanks for meeting me," I said, my voice shaking.

"Yeah." He said, without looking away from the view in front of us.

"Brian, I'm so sorry for what my parents said."

He looked at me for the first time since I approached him. "Don't be. It's the truth."

My heart broke. "No, it isn't."

"Yes, it is, Hannah. You deserve someone that can provide for you. I can't do that."

"Brian, I don't need you to provide for me." I didn't understand what he was talking about. My heart rate quickened as anxiety bubbled up inside of me.

"You know what I mean."

"Brian, please. You don't understand." I knew what he was about to say. I could feel it inside me. I could see it written all over his face. This was the end of us, and I was clinging to any shred of it I could. My chest tightened and my breathing stopped as he said the next sentence.

"Hannah, this has to be the end."

Tears filled my eyes. "Brian, No. Please. Please, my parents don't matter."

"I'm over it, Hannah. This has nothing to do with your parents."

"Then please, explain it to me." The first tear slipped down my cheek. I wiped it away, not wanting him to see me cry.

"Hannah, I'm sorry. But you deserve so much more than I can ever give you. This has to be goodbye." He said. There was a pain behind his eyes which only confused me more. I wanted to beg him to stay, but I knew once he decided something, there was no changing his mind.

He walked away without another word.

~

The night before was restless. I could not sleep at all. I had been replaying the day we broke up in my head. How was it I ended up in that tiny town, my car broke down, and Brian just happened to live there? But it couldn't be my Brian. There was no way such a coincidence existed. There were plenty of people that looked like him. I wasn't one to believe in Fate. Especially not after our breakup.

I picked up my phone and dialed Blair's number. I needed to talk to her. I needed to know I wasn't crazy.

"Hey girl! How's the trip?" Blair asked when she answered.

"Um well. It's not going as planned." I told her. I hadn't talked to her since we met at Starbucks before I left.

"What do you mean?" She asked.

I gave her a rundown of what happened with my car breaking down and Lucas being behind me and giving me a tow to Southwood.

"Oh, my God. Are you okay?"

"Yes, I'm fine," I said. "They're working on fixing it now. They had to order the part in."

"Are you going to make it to your interview?"

Oh, yeah.

I had totally forgotten about my interview. I had been so preoccupied with seeing Brian the day before, that I had pushed all other thoughts out of my head. "I don't know. If they fix it today, I can make it."