Chapter Eighteen

I couldn't stop thinking about Brian. What was wrong with us? Part of me thought I should have gone on to my interview and got far away from him. But there was this other part of me. It was stronger and louder and crying out for me to stick around and see what could happen between Brian and me. There was a reason why my car broke down, when it did and where it did. I needed to stay. Something wanted me there.

I checked my phone. I wanted to talk to him. I didn't understand where we were at anymore. He wanted me to move in with him, but it terrified me. I had a feeling that if we moved in together, it would end badly, and we wouldn't talk ever again. That wasn't something I wanted. Not after our reconnection.

I was sitting in my hotel room trying to piece together every little thing we had said to each other since I had shown up there. I was reading between the lines for messages that probably didn't even exist, and I knew this wasn't good, but I couldn't help it. I wanted to know how he felt about the future. What he thought about, what he wanted. What he pictured. But how could I ask to know those things, if I didn't have a clear vision myself?

Was it really me he wanted? Or was it someone else, like Amanda? Someone that maybe was a little more exciting to him. Someone whose parents would never judge him for how much money was in his parent's bank accounts.

Life wasn't fair.

I forced myself to get out of bed. I had to get to work. I had no energy. I had spent most of my time tossing and turning the night before. The fogginess reminded me of all the times I had gone drinking with Brian in college.

Great. I thought. Now, being groggy reminds me of him. It seemed like there was always something that made me think of him. I couldn't get him out of my thoughts. Before I'd shown up in Southwood, I hardly thought of him. I had blocked him in my mind like a bad memory. Now my mind focused only on him like he was a disease eating away at my brain.

Donna was already up and at 'em when I walked into the office that morning. I could tell she didn't allow herself very much time off. She was very dedicated to her business.

"Good morning." I said as I got a cup of coffee from the small coffee maker in the office.

"Good morning, Hannah. Is that coffee okay to you? I mean, I see you drink it every day, but I'm sure you must be wantin' some Starbucks. I can run and get you some – "

I put my hand up, stopping her. "No, no. I really don't mind. I've never been one that was too into coffee. If it has caffeine and decent flavor, it's good enough for me, honest. This coffee is actually pretty good." I said.

She shook her head. "It's not that good, but thank you anyway, Hannah."

I pulled my phone out. Donna didn't care if I was on my phone. She was often on her own phone. As long as I wasn't helping a customer, I could be on my phone. There were no notifications when I checked. No messages, no phone calls, no social media notifications. Radio silence wasn't a good thing. Especially not where it concerned Brian. What if I had pushed him away for the final time? I'd probably regret that for the rest of my life.

"Are you okay, today?" Donna asked me, pulling me out of my depressing daydream.

I wasn't sure I wanted to open up to her. "Yeah, I'm good." I lied.

"Are you sure about that?" She asked.

"Yeah, absolutely."

"I saw the fight with Brian." She reminded me of one of those T.V. mom's that caught their kids with their hands in the cookie jar.