Chapter Nineteen

All night long I had dreams about Brian and Amanda. One where my parents murdered him. One where he was calling me Amanda and when I looked in the mirror, I was her. It was a long night, full of waking up in a cold sweat. I had never had that many nightmares in one night before. I was just glad it was my day off. It was eleven by the time I dragged myself out of the bed. I felt groggy.

Maddie texted me. She asked to meet me at the diner. I let her know that I had just woken up, but I'd be there soon. I got out of the bed, went into the bathroom and took a shower. I took my time and let the hot water was over my body, turning it a pink shade from the heat. I got out of the shower and got dressed. I dried my hair and applied a small amount of makeup. When I checked my phone before leaving the room, I saw that Maddie had texted me again. She wrote me back and told me to get a table because she would be late.

The Diner was empty except for the booth I normally sat in. A guy was sitting there, facing away from me. Beatrice wasn't working. Another waitress, named Zoey, led me to a table near the one I normally sat at. I sat down and looked over at the guy that was sitting in my usual spot.

Logan met my eyes. "Hey, Hannah." He picked up his drink and moved to my table. "Can I sit with you?" He asked

I nodded my head and gestured for him to sit down.

"How are you?" He asked.

"I'm good. How are you?" I responded. I still couldn't figure him out. I couldn't read him. I wasn't sure if he liked me or hated me. I'd never had such a hard time figuring someone out before.

"I'm good." He said.

Logan ordered his lunch, and I chose to wait until Maddie showed up before ordering. Zoey was practically drooling over Logan. He had blonde hair to his chin; he styled in a skater-type style. His eyes were hazel. They didn't shine bright like Brian's. They were dull and empty. But I wondered if they lit up when he was trying to pick girls up.

I hated when I couldn't figure people out, it made it hard for me to connect with them.

"I talked with Brian." He said.

I wondered where he was going with this. "Oh yeah?" I said.

"Yeah, he told me you guys were fighting." He said.

"I don't know if I'd say that exactly."

"He really loves you, Hannah." Logan said, a serious tone in his voice. "Listen, I'm sorry I've probably come off as an asshole. I didn't want to lose Brian as my friend again. I'd lost him for the four years he was in L.A. for college. I didn't want to lose him again. You know what I mean?"

I nodded my head.

"I didn't mean to be an asshole."

"You didn't." I lied.

"No, no. I did. But I've got to say, I've never seen Brian the way he has been lately. I've seen this whole new side of him. A side I'd never seen before you came around."

"I doubt it's just because of me." I said, brushing his comments off.

Zoey took his glass to refill it and I waited for him to continue what he was saying.

"When Brian came home from Cali, you don't understand how broken he was. He got his job almost right away and just focused on that. Until the weekend and we'd go out, and he'd get blackout drunk." He said.

I didn't know about his drinking until that moment. I pictured Brian getting blackout drunk every weekend. Slurring his speech and stumbling home. All because he was trying to kill the pain from our breakup. It broke my heart.