Chapter Eleven

Donna was sitting at the desk the next morning when I woke up.

"Donna!" I said, happy and surprised to see her.

"Hey, Hannah." She said. She seemed both sad and relieved.

I gave her a hug and asked how her trip was. She told me about how beautiful the funeral was and so many people showed up. She saw her friend's kids who she hadn't seen in 20 years. She also talked about how she spent a whole day with her old group of friends reliving old times and memories of her friend, Jane. I thought it was sweet they did that and wondered just how many of my "friends" would show up to my funeral. I assumed only a few and those who would, would only be there to say they were there for the attention.

"How were things here?" She asked.

"They were good. I did everything as you taught me and so far, have had no complaints. At least none I'm aware of." I realized she could have gotten complaints and I would have had no idea.

"I would say so as I have heard nothing." She said.

This gave me a deep sense of pride it made me feel good about my newly found work ethic. But now my big decision loomed like a dark storm cloud threatening hail. She was home earlier than she said she would be because she wanted to get back to her normal life and not focus so much on the sadness. I understood where she was coming from with wanting to leave. But now I had to decide if I would leave or not. There wasn't anything keeping me there.

"You're such a good person, Hannah. Don't let the world take that from you." Donna said, as if adding to a thought she had.

"Thank you, Donna."

"So, what are you going to do about New York?"

I bit my cheek. "I'm not sure. My mom is pretty pissed that I missed the interview."

"Why's that?" She asked.

"Well, she pulled the strings, but the biggest thing to her is that I made the family 'look bad'."

She had a funny look on her face. "How so?"

"By not showing up to the interview. I don't know that's just how my mom has always been." I wished that it wasn't true. I wished that I could say my parents supported me. It sucked

"I take it there were a lot of pressures put on you." She said.

I nodded my head.

"You don't know what you want to do with your life?" She asked in a way that told me she knew me better than I knew myself.

I shrugged. "I've always loved fashion, but I have never wanted to follow in my mom's footsteps and run her business. I want to design clothes that normal people can wear. Not silly, flashy fashion items that are only used for the runway and outrageous outfits to shock the media at events. I don't want that."

"Have you ever thought of getting a job in hospitality?" She asked.

I looked at her, confused. "Hospitality?" I'd never even considered it as an option.

"Would you like to work for me? Be a manager?" Her eyes were full of hope.

I hadn't been expecting her to offer me a job, and I was a little shocked. "Wow, Donna. I don't know what to say. I guess I can stick around and help you out around here."

She smiled at me. "something tells me you need a break from back home." I hugged her because she was right. It was so refreshing to have someone think about what I needed and about what I wanted for once.