Chapter Twenty-Two

The first thing Brian did when he got off work was come to the hotel room. He knocked on my door and I answered it, thinking it was Donna or Maddie. Maybe even Beatrice. But I had not been expecting him to be the one knocking.

"Can we talk?" He asked.

I wondered momentarily if Beatrice had told him about me attempting to leave earlier. If he knew, he wasn't showing any signs of it.

I nodded my head and moved away from the door. I walked over to the bed and sat down. He closed the door behind him and walked over to the bed. He sat down next to me and turned his body, so we were facing one another.

"Hannah listen – "

I cut him off. "No, Brian. I talked with your mom. I know you were just meeting with her to tell her to leave you alone."

His hands went up as if in self-defense. "I just want you to know – "

I put a finger to his lips. "Shh. Let me talk."

He nodded his head, letting me know it was okay to go on and he would not interrupt me.

"I'm so sorry for everything. I'm sorry that I didn't give you a chance to explain what was going on and I acted like a child. I'm sorry that I didn't have a heart to heart with you sooner about everything that had gone on before. I'm sorry I didn't trust you enough to not be jealous in the first place. But most of all, I'm sorry I let you walk away 18 months ago." I said.

Brian leaned into me and kissed my lips. His were so soft, so full. I saw fireworks and felt the shock of electricity pulse through my entire body. And when he pulled back, it physically hurt. His kisses were like a drug.

"You don't have to apologize. I think it's pretty fucking awesome that you're here." He said.

"Well," I figured he deserved to know the truth.

"Well, what?" He asked.

"Well, I was going to leave. I packed up my car and then your mom came by and convinced me to give you a chance to explain." I said.

He looked a little hurt. "Well, glad I've got her," he said.

I smiled at him. "Brian, I want you to know that I don't want to go to New York. There's a reason why I'm here right now. There's a reason why I stumbled onto your little town out of all the places between here and L.A."

"It's fate." He said.

"Oh, my god," I said when I realized something.

"What he asked?"

"You're absolutely right. Yesterday after I saw you with Amanda and I left. I went by the hotel and packed my stuff. Then I went for a drive and just drove all these back roads. Then my gas light came on and I tried to make my way back, but I got lost. Then I finally saw a house and knew I was headed toward town. But the house I saw looked familiar." I looked into his eyes.

His eyebrows went up. "My house?"

I nodded my head. "I stopped and knocked but you weren't home."

"Wow. Yeah, I was talking to my mom. I didn't know what to do, Hannah. I asked my mom for advice, too." He admitted. "I didn't want to lose you again." He looked bashful as he said this, and I found it hot.

"Move in with me." He said. and before I could say anything he added "We're meant to be. You can't deny that. Nothing bad will happen. I'll take care of you. Let me take care of you."

"Well, I did find your house when I thought I was lost. It must be fate." I said.

He pulled me into another big kiss. "does that mean you will?" His eyes were lit up like the city lights at night from the Hollywood sign.