Chapter Twenty-Five

"Good morning, beautiful," Brian said in my ear as the morning sun shone down on us.

"Good morning, handsome," I said back to him, kissing him.

"How d'you sleep?" He asked.

"Good. How d'you sleep?" I asked, tired and groggy. I wanted to sleep in. I didn't want to have to get up and face my responsibilities. I'd felt completely exhausted the last couple days. Moving and changing your life could be pretty draining.

"I slept great. I always sleep great when you're by my side. I always have." He said referencing our sleepovers back in college.

I smiled at him and climbed out of the bed to use the bathroom. As I closed the door and looked in the mirror. Something clicked. I left the bathroom, grabbed my phone and went back into the bathroom. According to my calendar, my period was supposed to start the week before.

I froze. I couldn't believe it. There was no way I was pregnant. I felt sick to my stomach and began to wonder if it was morning sickness or not. I needed to find out if I was pregnant but how the hell was I going to tell Brian? We had just gotten back together. We had just worked things out. If he didn't want kids, we'd be at another crossroads and might even break us up. I didn't want to be dealing with this stress and I tried willing my period to start.

Start. Start. Start. I thought to myself, willing my body to do what it should have already been doing.

Brian knocked on the door. "You okay?"

"Yeah." I said trying to catch my breath before he realized something was, in fact, wrong.

I knew there was no way I could make it through the day. My mind was fuzzy, and I felt sick. I called Donna and let her know I felt sick and wouldn't be coming in that day. She said she would send Maddie over with some soup. I told her it wasn't necessary, but she insisted.

Brian put me to bed with the idea that I had some sort of stomach bug or food poisoning. Though we both doubted that was the case. Me more than him but I wasn't about to let him in on that. There was a reason for my own doubts.

Two hours later, Maddie showed up with soup. "You don't look sick." She said. "But you do look like you've seen a ghost. Are you okay?" She asked.

I bit my lip. I didn't know how to form the words. It terrified me to even say them out loud. How was I to know that she would not freak out? Or tell Brian? Or her mother? Or Beatrice? My stomach flopped. But something deep down told me I needed to give her a chance. I took a deep breath.

"I'm late."

"Holy fuck." She said. "Is that why you called in?"

I nodded my head and tears formed in my eyes.

"Did you take a test?" She asked.

I shook my head. "Not yet, but I've never been late before in my life. And I'm 10 days late..."

Her mouth dropped open. "Holy shit. We need to get you a test." She said.

I nodded my head. "I know." The tears came down harder and I sobbed.

"What's wrong?" She asked.

"I don't know how he feels about kids. I don't know how to tell him I might be pregnant. We just worked things out and got back together."

"But you don't know for sure if you're pregnant or not." She pointed out.

This was true, but it didn't make it less scary. "But I have never been this late."