Chapter Seven

"Wow," I said as we laid out on a blanket in the field behind his house. I had been looking forward to this all day.

"I told you," Brian said.

It was like staring at a live painting. A million tiny stars stippled a black background. I had never seen such a sight before. The number of stars I could see back in L.A. was nothing compared to what we were looking at. I took a mental image. I never wanted to lose that memory. It was utterly breathtaking.

"I could get used to this," I said, without thinking. I caught a surprised look from Brian out of the corner of my eye.

"It's gorgeous." He said. But I could still see he was staring at me.

I turned to face him, rolling onto my side just as he had.

"Why are you here?" He asked.

I shook my head. "I have no idea."

"It seems so surreal." He reached out and brushed my face with the back of his finger.

"I agree. Out of all the places I got stranded." I said.

He took a deep breath and tore his gaze from mine. "Want a drink?"

"Sure. What do you have?"

"Beer, whiskey, and maybe some rum. I'll have to check."

"Surprise me," I said. Brian headed back inside his house and I rolled onto my back. Lying flat, I stared up at the night sky, I felt so small. I was just a blip in this giant universe. Something that had hardly been explored. I was lost, deep in thought about the universe when Brian returned a couple minutes later with two glasses. He handed me one. There was an ice cube floating in a dark liquid that smelled equal parts sweet and strong.

"Crown and Coke." He took a sip and I watched him swallow. There was something so sexy in the simplicity of him taking that sip. I felt my stomach do a cartwheel.

Maybe the alcohol isn't such a good idea. I thought. My eyes locked with Brian's. Or maybe it is. A louder part of me pushed the other thought away. I took a sip from my glass to calm the nerves I was feeling. It burned the back of my throat and I felt it in my belly. I took a larger gulp and then chugged the rest of my glass.

"Now what?" I asked, holding up my empty glass.

"Want another drink?" He asked.

"Um. I'm not sure I should drink anymore." I said.

"What if you stayed?" He asked and my heart skipped a beat.

"I mean I guess I could." I couldn't come up with an excuse to leave and that scared me. He scared me because I hadn't been with him for all that long and I could already feel all my reservations slipping away.

"I won't bite." He said in a slow, sexy way that sent a shiver through my body.

I bit down on my lip. "What if I want you to bite?"

His eyes lit up, and he scooted closer, grabbed the glass from my hand, and sat it on the ground beside me.

"I told myself I wasn't going to do this. I wasn't going to let you spend the night or get this close to you." He said with a look on his face that told me he really was struggling with his own thoughts.

"Why did you?" I asked.

He got closer. "Do I have to answer that, Hannah?" And then he grabbed me and pulled me into him. His lips pressed into mine and it was like a thousand lightning bolts struck my body. It awoke something deep inside me, that had been asleep for so long, with just this one kiss. I felt my body craving more.